Macbook unibody with 8GB ram, still runs like 2GB

Reaction score
Hi,

I upgraded to 8GB ram in my Macbook unibody laptop, but it still runs like it has 2GB of ram.

The computer shows 8GB ram in "about this mac"

I am not sure what the problem is.. I have no junk on the computer and the hard drive is only about 25% full.

Does anybody know of a similar issue or how I would go about resolving this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
What do you mean it still runs like it has 2gb? You wont see some ridiculous performance improvement by just adding ram to a computer. Are you doing ram heavy operations like running a VM or just normal usage? Need more information.

OP
A
Reaction score
To be more clear, I do a lot a graphic and web design so I am always working with Adobe programs.

It still takes a pretty long time (about 30 seconds) to open programs like Illustrator and Dreamweaver.

There is also some major lagging when running 2-3 programs at once..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
To be more clear, I do a lot a graphic and web design so I am always working with Adobe programs.

It still takes a pretty long time (about 30 seconds) to open programs like Illustrator and Dreamweaver.

There is also some major lagging when running 2-3 programs at once..

RAM doesn't make applications launch any faster. If you want them to open faster then you need a SSD or a faster HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
And what computer do you have, some specs. Also some screen shots of Activity monitor when this is happening would be nice.

Opening the programs is not going to be effected pretty much at all by upping the ram that is more of a hardrive limitation but 30sec still seems slow. I have an SSD in my computer and it takes literally less than 3sec to open.

The lagging should be helped by ram but it could also be CPU related.

Post some screen shots and we will check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.