Planning to order an iPod Classic from the US to avoid volume-limiter - any issues?

Reaction score
Hey

I recently purchased an iMac. Shortly afterwards, I ordered an iPod Nano 16Gb engraved with my email address. Another week or so later I decided to complete my Mac conversion with an iPhone 16Gb.

Now whilst the Nano is a cool little device; I completely underestimated how good the iPhone's iPod function is; it also trumps the Nike feature of the Nano by having GPS; and I always have my iPhone with me - so the nano is completely superfluous. Luckily a friend wants to buy it off me and doesn't mind my email address being on it.

So my iPhone is great and has enough music on it for running + gym, but I need a big iPod for my 110Gb music collection - so naturally I'm going to get a 160Gb iPod Classic to complete my collection.

However, I really did notice the volume difference between my EU-limited Nano and the much louder Phone. I'm really not prepared to tolerate that with my iPod Classic, which will be used with various awesome headphones I own.

I plan to order my iPod Classic from the US (via a sending service I've previously used) in order to get a volume-limit-free model.

I'm aware I benefit from a worldwide warranty; although if anything goes wrong and I use a UK Apple Store I'm likely to get a volume-limited UK model back, but questions are:

- Will updating my iPod Classic using my UK iTunes account/iMac and (presumably) UK firmware put the volume limiter back on, or is it hardware based?

- Are there any other issues involving ordering/owning a US iPod, bearing in mind I wish to retain the situation of not having a volume limiter?

I'm sure I can't be alone in pursuing this course of action. I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who already owns a US iPod Classic!

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.