How do I connect MBP to my monitor

Reaction score
Hi I have 2 different set-ups if someone could tell me how I would connect to the monitor in each of the 2 set-ups and get sound too it would he lp a lot as I am confused as to what i need to get.

1) MacBook Pro to a VGA monitor
2) MacBook Pro to this monitor 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H Widescreen IPS Monitor - Aria PC

With the Dell screen I was thinking of getting a sound bar.
I've looked at cables for a few days and which is why I'm here. I don't know really want I need and some cables seem way too short (under 1m)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what year/model of MacBook Pro as that effects the type of adaptor needeed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
S
Reaction score
early 2009 it was I think. Model number is A1286. I have done some more research and came up with the following products:

the cable for the Dell would need this StarTech.com Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter.. | Ebuyer.com right?
And the cable for the VGA monitor would need 2 as they don't do miniDP to VGA long enough so I'd need these 2:
Xenta Mini Displayport to VGA Cable - 100mm | Ebuyer.com
CablesToGo, DB9 F/F Null Modem Cable Black, 3m | Ebuyer.com

Is this right too?
Would the vga-vga cable connect to the miniDP-vga cable as I need to be wary of M or F cables.
Also will these cables provide sound too or do I need additional cable that would plug in to the MBP 3.5mm jack?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.