Flight simulatos x not working

Reaction score
I am trying to run flight simulator x on my new macbook pro 13". I have windows 7 running on parallels desktop. When I try to run the game this message comes: "Flight Simulator is not working with your video card. Verify that you have the latest drivers installd for your video card. Flight Simulator will now exit."

I tried to run the game on boot camp also, but same problem. Can someone help me what I am missing here because I have read that it works with some other macs. Or is this integrated intel graphics the problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're not going to get much of any 3D games running decently, if at all, in a virtual machine.

Yes, the integrated Intel graphics is going to be an issue. However, the video requirments are not that high for that game. You might check Windows update to see if there are any updated graphics drivers for the HD 3000.

You might also try google with both the game and the Intel HD 3000 and see what you turn up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would tend to agree with bobtomay here... it's probably not your integrated graphics as much as trying to get 3D acceleration running in a VM. More often than not, it's just not going to work. With that said, there is a great alternative to Flight Simulator on the Mac. Have you looked at X-Plane?

X-Plane

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Yes I know the X-plane, but I already have purchased previously the Fsim X so I would be happy to be able to use that if possible.

I tried to google this problem with any words I can think of but with no help for this problem. I think the game runs on the macpook pro 13" if I just only could get it working. I don't need all the graphics because I am not playing it because I want to look scenery. I have already played Half Life 2 with my macbook and it runs smoothly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the answers. Yes I know the X-plane, but I already have purchased previously the Fsim X so I would be happy to be able to use that if possible.

I tried to google this problem with any words I can think of but with no help for this problem. I think the game runs on the macpook pro 13" if I just only could get it working. I don't need all the graphics because I am not playing it because I want to look scenery. I have already played Half Life 2 with my macbook and it runs smoothly.

Gotcha. Even though you don't care to see scenery, the game has a 3D engine that has to initialize and send certain calls to the subsystem that communicates with the video hardware. If it can't do that, the game won't run. That would appear to be what is happening here because you're running Windows through Parallels (which adds a layer of abstraction between the hardware and the guest operating system).

What you may need to do is install Windows directly on your MacBook using Boot Camp. But whether that's worth the hassle is another story.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you may need to do is install Windows directly on your MacBook using Boot Camp. But whether that's worth the hassle is another story.

Agree with cw107. Flight Simulator X or an earlier version will run even on a Mac that has an older integrated graphics chipset and Windows installed via Boot Camp. It doesn't run great, but it will run.

Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox as cw107 mentioned install an abstract layer which consists of a set of drivers. Video, sound, HDD, USB, etc, are all provided by the VM software. Parallels does have better support for 3D but it's still not good enough for Simulators or graphic intensive games.

Your machine with the Intel HD 3000 and Windows 7 installed, should run FS X real well. My old MacBook (see my specs) runs it OK (choppy graphics) but it runs.

Reaction score
flight simulator with intel hd graphic 3000 don't work

Hello
same problem. New macbook pro, virtual box and vista with flight simulator.
F.S. refuses to recognise intel graphic hd 3000.
Two years ago with my old Mac, bootcamp, vista and F.S. no problem
Is there someone with à solution?
Thanks
Cloclo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read through the thread above? Flight Simulator X does not work from a VM regardless of whether the VM has Vista or Windows 7 installed. You need to dual boot and install Windows via the Boot Camp Assistant.

Reaction score
Flight simulator with intel hd graphic 3000 don't work

Chscag thanks
I read all the thread above twice. Kawasami said: I tried to run the game on bootcamp also but same problem.
I also read this on a forum: I have the latest macbook pro 13 inches installed windows seven ultimate with bootcamp. Windows started up fine and it installed F.S X fine but when I tried to open it up it said: Flight simulator is not working with your video card, verify that you have the latest driver. (intel HD Graphics 3000)
unfortunately for me boot camp 4 for lion only support windows seven and I bought 3 years ago Vista to run flight simulator with bootcamp and had no problem. buying now windows seven 200€ is a bit dangerous, may be not work on bootcamp.
I have also the latest macbook pro and the same answer: F.S. is not working with your video card........
I also read that some people have F.S. working on intel HD graphics 3000
Do you have an idea to help
Thanks
Claude

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I understand your problem now. Unfortunately, FS X will not run on the HD 3000 because of unsupported drivers. What you can try to do is go to the Intel web site and see if you can download the latest Windows 7 drivers for the Intel HD 3000 and install them.

Reaction score
Thanks
I downloaded a Intel driver via vista for intel graphics 3000. it does not work certainly because i had virtual box.I tried to install boot camp 4.1 but no chance it said "impossible to move some folders, so you must save your job and then clean your internal hard drive and make a réinstallation.
it is too much work so i prefer Keeping F.S. on my Sony and X-Plane on my Mac.
If one day I see that someone has F.S on a recent Macbook and explain how he did i will try again.
Thanks again

Cloclo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I understand. One comment though.... If I had to choose between running Flight Simulator X and X-Plane, Flight Simulator X would be my overwhelming choice. Just my opinion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly don't know a whole lot about Flight Simulator X, but the hardware requirements certainly look modest by today's standards.

Another option might be to try running it through a virtual machine, where the hardware is abstracted (i.e. the virtualization software takes care of handling 3D instructions). Parallels Desktop has the best support for 3D at this point (although I normally recommend VMWare Fusion).

Might be worth it to nuke the Boot Camp partition altogether, install a trial of Parallels, install Windows and try running it from there...

Reaction score
to csscag
with F.S and X-plane installed I have two teachers that is better than one. technicals terms in English are sometimes difficult for me. I am French
to cwa 107 good idea to install the trial version of parallels.
I will be back in my home in three weeks I will install parallels and send a post
cloclo

Reaction score
MS Flight simulator X

First thank you all for posting it is helpful. I have MacBook Pro, 13 inch , summer 2010 model, researched and was verified by ApStore employe that Parallels is not the right choice, given the enormous memory requirements.

Used Boot Camp, ensured had all latest drivers, loaded Microsoft Windows 7, 64 bit version, loaded Microsoft Flight Simulator X, all under the watchful and helpful assistance at the Apple Store Genius Bar, so all,of that went well except MFS X will not start, I too get that message:

"Flight simulator is not working with your video card. Verify that you have the latest drivers installed for your video card." "Flight simulator will now exit"

So I see that someone added the drivers but with little success. Should I install the 32 bit version of FS x? Is there a way I can tweak the installation or files so that I can lower the frames per second and minimize terrain? Ultimately ay clues much appreciated, thanks!

Looking forward to your responses, best!

Reaction score
You could try the 32 bit version. Based on the chain of posts in this thread, I am thinking that the HD3000 integrated graphics chipset may be the issue and that the Apple driver for it may not initialize the 3D engine properly for some reason. you might try to find any updated driver directly from Intel.

I certainly agree that running it in a virtual machine would not help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking the same as Sammy here. But what I find strange is that I could run an older version of FS on a much less powerful graphics chipset, the Intel GMA X3100 (MacBook, 2008 model). It looks like FS X for some reason does not pickup on the Intel HD 3000 as a GPU that can render properly. My opinion is that it can, but what do I know? :)

Reaction score
I agree with chscag, i had too a macbook pro 2008 and fs10 and that properly work with bootcamp.
I will try to find the solution in some forums dedicated to fly simulator in french, may be you could try on english too
Cloclo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.