• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What would you like to see in iOS 5?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what everyone would like to see in the iOS 5 and what you actually think we'll realistically see. For me, I'd like to see:

- better lock screen (with options of showing notifications, weather etc)
- enhanced notification system (the current one looks so dated)
- gestures (for those used to using MacBook gestures, this would be good)
- better 'pictures' folder (the ability to sort, add folders etc)
- wireless sync with iTunes (not essential but it would be nice)
- the ability to see how much RAM you're using (again, not essential but it would be nice - I'm curious about this)

I doubt I'll ever see this but something that I'd love would be the ability to set 'times' of the day where your phone doesn't vibrate for email etc, i.e in the middle of the night. I like having vibrate switched on when on silent in case I get a call but I don't really care for 0400 emails vibrating.

I don't really have a problem with the current version of iOS - it runs well and does everything I need but I find myself regularly thinking that I'm just a bit bored of iOS now. It's a shame because I love everything about my iPhone 4.

What do you guys think?...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not a fan of widgets, as any app that runs constantly, especially one that communicates with the cloud, will tend to drain the battery. Aside from that, I would like to see better screen lock options - and certainly better notifications. Wireless sync would also be awesome - I don't understand why they don't do this already as the hardware is certainly capable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would like them to have a quick way to close out all open apps Lazy yes I know but it would still be nice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would like them to have a quick way to close out all open apps Lazy yes I know but it would still be nice.

As long as it's not like Android's "solution", I'd be agreeable to that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Wireless sync would also be awesome - I don't understand why they don't do this already as the hardware is certainly capable.
Couldn't agree more. This is long overdue and to be honest, this is the only feature I'd really like to see. Another thing I'd like to see would be the battery percentage represented numerically on the iPod Touch like it is on the other iOS devices (I may be missing this in iOS 4 - I just upgraded).

Reaction score
A refreshed UI…I've looked at WebOS, Android (and its myriad of versions and styles) as well as the OS on a PlayBook…seems to me iOS is getting stale.

New notification system is a definite must need right now

I too, believe widgets would be rather useless.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I actually like the simplicity of the iOS UI. I don't want a lot cluttering my UI - just give me the applications. The OS should in essence be secondary to the application experience. I don't need a UI that has a lot of fancy graphical elements as my goal when using the OS is not to interact with it specifically but to have it help me in running great applications. The way it's set up now, in which the applications are central to the design of iOS is great. Don't give me widgets or anything else that complicates a home screen that shouldn't be anything more than a launchpad for applications. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
• Some interesting UI changes (not huge power draining widgets or clocks, just a nice change
• A notification system similar to that on webOS. I didn't have a Palm Pre for long, but for the time I had it, I fell in love with the notification system
• More lockscreen options (similar to IntelliScreen on Cydia), showing things like simple weather report, e-mails, SMS, and upcoming Calendar appointments.

Although I imagine it'll be pretty difficult to introduce any major changes in the UI because of resources and the millions of customers that are used to the current iOS, so I'm excited to see how Apple handle it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
A "Finder" type app to search for and manipulate files, including network mounted disks. Terminal application to access things such as ssh, ftp, telnet and the like. Maybe a native "screen sharing" application. Compatibility with Sharepoint would be useful for work. Overall, I think the OS is fine for a telephone/gadget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I agree with what cwa107 mentioned above. There are some great wireless sync options via jailbreak...Apple definitely NEEDS to have this option on iOS5 imo, especially when there is nothing limiting them from releasing it...even now. Better security to prevent others from using. Aside from that, I'm not really sure how to pinpoint what I would like to see. I do want another looking iOS, but I wouldn't even know what to make it like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.