Iphone wont sync to new mac's itunes

Reaction score
I got a new mac and was having trouble figuring out how to get music from my iphone into my new mac's itunes. Instead of trying to figure it out, I just re-downloaded some of the songs I mostly cared about keeping. But now I'm starting to download new songs and want my iphone to sync to my new itunes library. I don't care if it deletes all the current songs I have on my iphone and replaces it with all the new ones in my new itunes, however, every time I plug in my phone, it wont sync with it. I tried to look it up online and some stuff I'm finding says I should restore my iphone but I'd like to avoid that to not lose all my pictures, contacts ect. So how would I go about syncing it?

Thanks!:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got a new mac and was having trouble figuring out how to get music from my iphone into my new mac's itunes.

Are you upgrading from an older Mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The easiest way to do it is just to use the Migration Assistant in the Applications => Utilitites folder. Then, just connect the two Macs with a network cable and the entire process is automated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch (with all the goodies), Apple TV, iPhone 4, iPod Nano Classic, Jawbone Jambox
Hmm, when i converted from PC to Mac i plugged in my iPhone then when it prompted me to erase, i clicked 'Transfer & Erase'. It then trasnfered everything from my iPhone to the computer first, then erased it.

You can manually do this as well by clicking on 'Itunes' drop down menu and choosing 'Transfer All Purchases'.

There is probably a more advanced method, like what cwa107 suggested, but thats how i did it :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.