Photoshop Clone Stamp

Reaction score
Hello

Having recently switched from Windows to Mac I have found I can't control the size of the Clone Stamp in Photoshop. In other words, when I select the Clone Stamp there is just a 'cross' that appears ...no cirle denoting which are is to be cloned. It's so frustrating.

In Windows once I had pressed the Clone Stamp in Photoshop a circle would appear denoting which area was to be cloned and I could reduce the size of this area very easily.

But now I can neither reduce the size nor see the area/overlay which is to be cloned. Have tried for hours to find the right command but canot work it out.

Please can any help?

Thank you Swanlinnet

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is your caps key on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Activate the clone stamp. Move your mouse cursor over an area of your document. Right click. Your Size/Hardness menu will appear. Make your stamp size adjustments and move your cursor back to the workspace. You should now see the desired size circle.

Hold down your Option key and left-click your mouse once to active a clone. Move your mouse cursor and click once again or drag to stamp it.

You're probably getting the crosshair because it's set to a very small size -- one pixel or so -- and you're attempting to use it on a very high resolution photo. Make your clone stamp much larger and you'll be able to see your circle. Adjust the size up to about 80 or more and you'll be in business.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the help . It is really appreciated.

There is, however, no right click on this mouse ...it is the new mouse that comes with the Imac. Have been thinking ought I get a diffeent mouse however, I reckon it is somehow still possible to use Photoshop optimally with this mouse. have just not fathomed it out. It has been a big jump from Windows to Mac but I will persist and am glad I have help from people like you here on the forum.:)

Thew caps lock are not on either.

Thank you, Swanlinnet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem -- always two ways to do something.

Again, activate the clone stamp. Take a look at your clone stamp menu bar options (it's right above your workspace). You'll see that the clone stamp is active (it's the far left icon). Right next to that is the size. Right now there's probably a "1" or so showing. Click on the blue drop-down menu next to the number. You'll get the exact same menu that's generated with a right click.

Also, if you're using a magic mouse, you can go into your System Preferences --> Hardware --> Mouse and activate the right-click option.

Hope this works.

OP
S
Reaction score
TXTCHR .... YOU ARE A GENIOUS AND A SAINT :):):):):

It works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):

100% works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the advice about the mouse on the Imac worked 100% also !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and saving me a trip to Everest the double-glazing people ...for another hour and this computer would have almost certainly gone through the living room window and I would have had to replace the windows here !!!!!!

Thank you;

Sincerely, Swanlinnet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, not a problem. I'm a new Mac user myself. Switched from Windows at home about a month ago (although I teach Adobe software on Windows every day). I use PS all the time, and it's one of my go-to programs. I love it on the Mac.

Glad I could help you with the mouse. That was thanks to my son, a MacBook user who showed me lots of tips and tricks when I bought this MBP over Spring Break. College kids know all the shortcuts!

OP
S
Reaction score
Glad you are finding the Mac good to work with. And a thank you from the UK to your son for sharing his knowledge. Photoshop is brilliant and when I changed to Imac I almost wished I'd have stuck with windows. Your help really has put a spring back in my step. My child always asks me for help on computer questions : ) : ) : And honest I have been stuck quite a few times since getting the Mac but wouldn't revert back to windows. A good free program I found is Onyx. OnyX (Mac) - Download Hope I'm allowed to share links. It is a cleaning utility and works incredibly well. Hope it helps you a little best wishes , swanlinnet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's lots of good info to always share here. I read all about OS X and Macs before I bought this MBP, and then when I bought this laptop, one of the first things I did was register as a user on this site. I've found that forums such as this provide a wealth of knowledge from experienced (and sometimes new) users. We all are in this together to help each other out so that we can enjoy a better computing experience.

Any time you've got a question or a problem, feel free to post. And, any time you find something that works great for you, share it. We all learn this way.

Cheers, and enjoy. You're going to truly love Photoshop on your Mac. I'm blown away by it every day -- and I have to then go in to school and teach it (and other Adobe elements) on Windows. While the software does behave similarly on the surface, it does manipulate and handle files better on the Mac. I'm pleased I made this choice. There is a learning curve, so give yourself a bit of time and you'll see that it will come naturally very quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.