Is there anything like FileVault in iOS?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am not an encryption/decryption expert by any means, so I was just wondering if someone who knows about this could help me out?

I need to ensure that the information on my iPad is encrypted due to the nature of information I have for work. Does iOS already do this to some level? is there anything like FileVault built into iOS to encrypt the data? If not, are there any third party apps or programs which I can get to do this?

I did some searching on Google and could not find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not that I'm aware.

If you have info that sensitive, I suggest you subscribe to mobileme just for the capability of remotely wiping the device. You can typically grab it at Amazon for $65-70.

And naturally, set a passcode lock.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't need to purchase MobileMe to get the remote wipe - Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch is free (see here) and has the wipe option. I just set it up with my new 4G iPod Touch and it works like a charm (the finding part does - I haven't tried the wipe option).

If I'm reading this correctly (see page 3), all data on the iPad is encrypted. Now, that seems to imply that all data created by included applications is encrypted and not necessarily what is created by third party applications unless they've made use of the proper APIs. I'll let you take a look through that yourself.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nice find van.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I read it the same way. Indeed, that's a great find.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It was a new one for me too. :)

I wouldn't have know about it if I didn't just purchase a new iPod. When I plugged it in, I was informed of it in iTunes just before it started syncing things over. I had, like you, figured you had to have MM but apparently you don't which is nice. I think I may have heard about this a while ago but I probably ignored it as part of the continuing rumour that MM is going to become free "anytime now" ;).

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Van, perfect. Thank you very much for that info. I found it very helpful and was exactly what I was looking for.

As for the MM, I have it. So i can remotely wipe it, but it is good to know this 256-bit AES encoding is on the iPad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be sure, I'd bring it to your IT department/guy at work and double check that it meets all the necessary criteria for security.

You may also want to take a look at this. Never used it here but it looks like it might be helpful.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
To be sure, I'd bring it to your IT department/guy at work and double check that it meets all the necessary criteria for security.

You may also want to take a look at this. Never used it here but it looks like it might be helpful.

That is exactly what I am doing. I wanted to have the info before I went in to talk to them about it. I cannot even use the iPad until I get the go ahead from the encryption experts anyway.

That safe seems like a decent place to keep a few files and whatnot, same 256-AES which is good. Thanks for the find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There is also 1password - which is from the same guys that make 1password for the Mac.
1Password for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
It can sync data over wifi with the 1password on your Mac. So far so good for me - on both the Mac and the iPad.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
I have 1password and I really like it. It makes a few everyday tasks very easy to do on the iPad (such as signing into forums)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
One thing I found useful on my Ipod touch is...you can store .pdf's.

In the ibookshelf, right?

Well, on the Mac you can also save docs in Pages as encrypted .pdfs.

I loaded one on the touch and it transferred. It even popped open the dialogue to unlock it. Only thing I could not figure was how to close it back up.

But if you never open it, you can leave it stored unopened.

What i have found this is good for is storing hiring documentation. I'm a contractor and people find me on the net for consulting gigs. Some times it goes down pretty quick. I can just forward the hiring company a doc that has some pre-filled out W4's, IDs, direct deposit setup info...just the type of stuff you don't want on anything steal-able and mobile that can grow legs.

So, its password protected. When you're sure who you're dealing with, send them the file and tell them to call you when they get it. When they do, give them the password and they can pop the doc open and get rolling on your start date. You don't have to worry while its on your ipod, ipad, iphone, whatever, or if the email is somehow intercept-able on the net. It doenst get unlocked till it lands where its supposed to.

That's one solution, I just wish they'd figure out a protocol to handle Mac .dmg files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.