Upgrade Preview 3.0.9 of OS 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Preview does not display accurately some pdf files created on a Windows machine from Word or Excel files. The characters (both accented and non-accented) are not interpreted at all and look like gremlins. Acrobat, However, does a nice job with these files, including an old Acrobat 5 version. Testing them on another more recent mac using OS 10.5.8 and Preview 4.2, Preview 4.2 does a nice job at displaying these same PDF files.

Is there any way of upgrading Preview from 3.0.9 to 4.2 while still using OS 10.4.11, which is the maximum allowed for my 9 years old iBook ?

TIA
(Mac OS 10.4.11, Preview 3.0.9)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You should probably just use Adobe Reader from now on. There isn't a way to separate the newer version of preview from OS X, because its renderer is actually used throughout the entire OS and not self-enclosed.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
You should probably just use Adobe Reader from now on. There isn't a way to separate the newer version of preview from OS X, because its renderer is actually used throughout the entire OS and not self-enclosed.

Wow !!! I was fearing some sort of reply like this. Thank-you for the bad new. Now I know that I won't be able to fulfil my dreams in this respect, and the reasons for it.

Funnily, the same PDF file is:

1 - Not rendered correctly when downloaded on the iBook and opened with Preview 3.0.9; and

2 - Rendered correctly when it is viewed through Safari 4.1.3 in a Safari windows.

To see example of this, go to <Parcours 0A> and clic the link "Une page de Jean à imprimer" to see the pdf file in question through Safari. It will render correctly in Safari; and yet NOT render correctly when downloaded and opened through Preview (but rendered correctly, as you suggest, with Acrobat).

Thanks, again ... sigh :|:|:|:[:[:[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.