iPhone 3g permanent DFU + unable to restore

Reaction score
Hi folks,

wondered if someone can help at all. Have searched the net quite extensively with this one - I'm now under the assumption the logic board will need replacing unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

I'll list as much info as I can if you need anything else let me know.

Got an iPhone 3g from a friend that only powers in DFU mode when connected to the mac/pc.

Blank screen permanently on.
All restores return error code 6.
2 different usb cables tried, tested on OSX 10.6.7, windows 7 + sp1 and xp sp3 (xp is virtual).

I do not know what version firmware was previously on it.
I have tried to restore official 2.0.1, 2.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.1, 4.2
I have tried custom firmware on 3.1.3, 2.1, 4.1

I have attempted jailbreak with redsn0w, pwnagetool, ziphone
redsn0w seems to work then instead of booting to springboard the iphone just reverts back into dfu.

I have checked the logs of these restores and noticed this:
Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error
error setting 'boot-args' to '': 1

to which a little googling led me to a possibility with logic board.
I have tried using iRecovery but to be honest unsure where to go with it i also tried TinyUmberella which attempted to fix recovery and the phone didnt reboot. just stayed in dfu.

Although this is in DFU i have kept making a point of making sure i manually place it into DFU just to make sure its not in recovery mode (though i doubt it ever has been as it has never shown the 'connect to itunes' message- just always a blank screen unless recovering.

Recovery for all firmware seems to get 99% of the way before showing error 6.

Does anyone know a way of fixing this issue or do I give up and sell for spares/repair?

Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
no, given up. took it to the Apple Store (they didn't seem to know as much as I did with it) and they said it would be £140 for a replacement...

to me it looks as though its a logic board issue and so I have a very nice paperweight to put on eBay...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.