SD Card Missing Partition Table

Reaction score
I inserted my girlfriends digital camera SD card into my digital camera and all the sudden it started saying it had to be formatted. I was able to pull up the partitions and it shows a 4gb partition and a 900 and something mb partition, but the card is only a 2gb card. I downloaded some diagnostic software and I see that the partition table is gone, so if there a way for me to manually re-create the table and recover all the data that was on the card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I inserted my girlfriends digital camera SD card into my digital camera and all the sudden it started saying it had to be formatted. I was able to pull up the partitions and it shows a 4gb partition and a 900 and something mb partition, but the card is only a 2gb card. I downloaded some diagnostic software and I see that the partition table is gone, so if there a way for me to manually re-create the table and recover all the data that was on the card?

I've never messed with SD cards, but I assume they can be mounted like a USB flash drive in OS X? Try Disk Drill. It can be used for free to see if you have any files that can be recovered, however you will have to pay for it to do the actual recovering. Barring that, Disk Warrior is the gold standard in file recovery, but you will have to pay for it before even trying it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.