CD drive not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have the 2010 macbook pro and now i am having an issue with the cd drive not working on the computer. It will read for about 5 minutes when i am copying cds to my itunes library and then i hear the cd drive go to a complete stop. and then after about 5 to ten minutes it will start to read very slowly. I can open things in the finder and it does the same thing. I tried restoring the comptuer and it did not help the issue. i have also done the pram and the other reset command where the computer does not start when you hit them(sorry i forgot what that one is called.) Along with that i have done the apple hardware test and the tech tool plus ( what comes with the extended apple care agreement and they showed up with no errors.) Is this a logic board issue because i have had a hardrive go bad, trackpad, charger, and now the cd drive. I am starting to think that it is something wrong with one component in the computer that is causing all of this.:Angry:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the 2010 macbook pro ...

If you still have Applecare remaining on it...just take it to the Apple Store for troubleshooting/examination.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have apple care left until 2013. I have had to take this computer in so many times i wish that i would have gotten an air.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should also consider more descriptive titles to your posts so that those that might actually be able to assist are the ones looking at your threads. Have adjusted the title of this one for you.

Power it down and take a can of air and give it 2-3 quick shots in different direction inside the slot. Never know, could be just a dusty lens. I've had mine quite working about once a year over the last 4 years and this has done the trick every time so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
try to call apple care.

I had problem with dvd drive only audio works and no picture. So i called apple it was easy just reboot with osx dvd install only and it is working. Take advantage of your apple care, bug them and hassle them, make sure you get your money worth with apple care.

Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called them and I am just going to send it in. I have tried using the air and that did not work for me. This is what it is doing. I have tried new and old disks and they all do the same. YouTube - MacBook pro cd drive issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.