Firefox freezes when loading

Reaction score
Hi! new member here,

Whenever I start my mac and try to open Firefox for the first time, regardless of how long the computer has been idle for, Firefox freezes while trying to load my homepage (Google News). I then quit the application and restart Firefox, it opens fine this second time. This happens every time without fail and is beginning to get on my nerves after about 1 month or so.

Whenever I quit Firefox I get this error message:

You quit Firefox because of a problem.

Problem Details and System Configuration.

Date/Time: 2011-04-30 08:55:08 +1000
OS Version: 10.6.7 (Build 10J869)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 7

Command: Firefox
Path: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
Version: 4.0 (4.0)
Parent: launchd [102]

PID: 379
Event: hang
Duration: 4.80s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
Steps: 8 (100ms sampling interval)

Pageins: 993
Pageouts: 0

Process: firefox-bin [379]
Path: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
UID: 501

The rest of the error report is too long to fit in this post but it contains a lot "Threads" and "Kernal Stacks"

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
- Finnbar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Trash Firefox 4 and download a fresh version from the Mozilla web site and see if that offers an improvement at all. Keep us posted.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried what you suggested, however it didn't completely fix the problem. Firefox still froze, however it did eventually open (after about 1 minute).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in your install disc and boot from that by holding down 'C' immediately after the chime on a reboot. Go to Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to make sure the drive is A OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Pop in your install disc and boot from that by holding down 'C' immediately after the chime on a reboot. Go to Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to make sure the drive is A OK.

You can skip this step until you are sure it actually needs to be repaired. Instead open Disk Utility and select Verify Disk. If that comes up with problems, then you can do the above.

OP
F
Reaction score
You can skip this step until you are sure it actually needs to be repaired. Instead open Disk Utility and select Verify Disk. If that comes up with problems, then you can do the above.

Did this and it came back saying "The Volume Macintosh appears to be OK".

The problem isn't that big, it is just annoying!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.