Windows 7 wont boot

Reaction score
I have a late 2010 MBP and i have had a windows 7 ultimate partition for a while it was working good then one day i try to boot and it gets stuck at the black screen with the blinking cursor. this happened after downloading a questionable file. im sure the partition is still there since i can browse it in terminal. tried mounting and unmounting it didnt work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try booting into Windows 7 using SAFE mode. Hold down the F8 key until it boots. Once in safe mode, remove the questionable file and reboot. If that doesn't work, post back.

OP
M
Reaction score
ok so i lost my win 7 disk so i "obtained" another OEM copy and reinstalled, it booted up fine till i installed the mac drivers for bootcamp from the cd that came with my mac, last time i did this it worked perfect. this time it worked but after hitting restart the boot up hangs on the black screen with blinking cursor for ~2mins then it boots normally, once in it works fine for about 1 minute then win 7 freezes completey, no response at all i left it for 15 mins hoping it was just a windows thing messing up but i didnt change at all so i restarted and same thing happens over again.

any ideas?

also. i tried booting into safe mode the login hangs indefinitely (or at least 5 mins :p)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably a bad video driver. Are you sure the Win 7 OEM disk you used is compatible with Boot Camp? Sounds like it's not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.