I spilled iced tea on my macbook pro

Reaction score
I took it to an authorized apple dealer and he said that the motherboard was fried. he reconended that i buy a new one insted of paying the $800 to fix it. is he bs-ing me get me to buy a new macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Nope. You could try to take it apart and clean it but if that dont work you might as well just buy a new one and sell that one for parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

No ~ tea is particularly acidic. Keep all liquids away from computers. Dear old lesson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am not going to say that this is going to work or anything and you might want to try this at your own risk but take the comptuer apart and soak the mother board in water for a few minutes and then let it sit for about a week and then put the computer bac together. My friends 3gS went throught the washer and didnt work anymore so he gave it to me and i was able to get it working again by doing this but i am not going to recommend this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the machine was on during the ice tea spill, forget it.... The logic board was likely shorted out. No amount of cleaning is going to cure that. As advised, sell it for parts and buy a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
...... is he bs-ing me get me to buy a new macbook?

Geniuses dont do the BS route. They will tell you like it is !!!!! Unfortunately :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.