Recent, almost sudden slowdown...

Reaction score
Earlier in the week I've noticed that my imac has been hit with a general slowdown coupled with errant hangups and beachballs-a-plenty. I'm into my fourth day of combatting this with hard drive cleans, downloaded cleaning software, and endless trouble shooting. I'm worried I may have to break down and buy Show Leopard (I am currently running tiger) or add the 1 GB more memory that my computer will support but I figured that I would give it one last try to fix.

The hangups seem to happen at set intervals. As in, my computer will function fine for 2 mins and then have a 1 min hang up before being fine again for another two mins. It's a very odd schedule and like I said, earlier this week there were no problems at all. I could watch Hulu, video chat, anything with nothing out of the ordinary load times. But now anything over 30s of video requires at least two to three major hang ups. Thank you for any help at all. Here are the stats:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4

HD:
232.57 GB
142.43 used

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.