Mouse problem

Reaction score
I have mac mighty mouse.

It scrolls left, right, and up.

It does not scroll down.

It works for weeks ok then stops scrolling down.

Then it starts scrolling down for no apparent reason and repeats this cycle.

I have visited mouse apps and all seems in order.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Take a clean piece of paper and lay it flat on the table. Turn your Mighty Mouse upside down and run the scrollball back and forth, up and down, for about 10-15 seconds. That should clean the ball and pull out any trash that might be preventing it from scrolling properly. Test it out afterward. Repeat if necessary. An alcohol pad spread out on the table can help as well, provided it's not too damp.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I tried what you suggested, EvenStranger, but I'm afraid that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've cleaned it as suggested above and it still is acting erratically or won't scroll, it means you'll have to take it apart to clean it from the inside. There are several videos available on U-Tube which show how. Personally, I got disgusted with cleaning mine and put it aside. I replaced it with an inexpensive USB optical mouse purchased from Wal-Mart for $14.95. Works great.

Reaction score
Thanks chscag. Maybe this is the reason Apple came out with that touch mouse. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.