imac g5 noob questions

C

conquerorsaint

hello im looking to make the mac switch but i have some questions first.

there's a promo at ou mall that sells an imac 17inch at these specs followed by the questions:
512mb ddr ram(can i upgrade this to 1GB at some point in the future? is the ram the same as for the pcs? or is there a recommended ram brand?)
1.6 ghz(should i get a faster one, like 1.8 or 2.0 ghz for at least some entry level 3D?)
40gb hd(this is fine for now but can i upgrade this to 160GB at some point in the future? if so, what brand? is this hd interchangeable with pc hdds? specific brand of hd?)

that's the one on display and it really fits the budget. they say i can order one with some of the specs i mentioned.

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
yea it supports up 2 2GB so defintately over 1 Gb. ram is the same as long as you get right speed , type (DDR) etc.
1.6 will be fine but obvisiouly 2.0 is better (it will kill practically anything you throw at it)
Any HDD works i dont know how high you can go but it can take 400Gb but im not sure the max

Thanks

OP
C

code777

buy what you can afford. If you can afford the 2.0 then so be it. If not look into the 1.6. I have the 1.6Ghz version with 1GB of RAM. I use PNY RAM (two 512 sticks). I originally wanted to max it out at 2GB RAM but its not needed. What will you be doing with the iMac?

I do some video editing and DVD burning and the 1.6 runs just fine with 1GB RAM. The computer is fast as is! I also have an external firewire drive that I use a lot. Its probably a good idea to have one no matter what size your internal is.

Now you say this is a "display model"? I'd never buy a display model but...

OP
C

conquerorsaint

code777 said:
buy what you can afford. If you can afford the 2.0 then so be it. If not look into the 1.6. I have the 1.6Ghz version with 1GB of RAM. I use PNY RAM (two 512 sticks). I originally wanted to max it out at 2GB RAM but its not needed. What will you be doing with the iMac?

i want to learn some 3D with it. the really basic stuff. and some designing/flash/video editing on the side besides managing multimedia, etc.

code777 said:
Now you say this is a "display model"? I'd never buy a display model but...

at first i thought it was, but then they said if i place my order they'll ship a new one for me. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.