Warning Startup Disk has no more room

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
This morning I got up and woke my computer up and got the warning "Your Mac OSX startup disk has no more space available for applications memory". The only things open were Firefox(1 tab),Mail and Finder. I shut the whole computer down, let it sit for a minute and start back up. I didn't get the warning, but got the spinning wheel of death when I tried to reopen mail and firefox.

Something is dreadfully wrong, but I don't know what is dying. Can anybody give me a course of action and tell me what is happening? Is it hard drive, RAM or what? I have Apple Care and it's less than 2 years old, so I'm not worried about longterm, just want to get this fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Typically when I see this it's one of two things. One, the user has set up time machine to back up the hard drive to itself rather than an external drive. Or two, a log file has gone berserk and is taking up most of the drive. A utility like GrandPerspective can show you all your files, their relative sizes and help you choose large files to delete safely.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A simple way to start with this issue is to simply open up Finder and see how much space you have available by looking at the bottom of the window. How big is your HD and how much space do you have left?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checked the activity monitor: System Memory-4 GB total-2.73 free; Disk usage 131 G used, 868 G Free....

I went back in, booted up from install disk and repaired Disk and permission. Nothing was found....Perhaps the drive is going bad:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good guess class77. Boot from the install disk again and go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good guess class77. Boot from the install disk again and go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Harry, why do it again?? I just ran it early this afternoon and it showed nothing. What good would it do/what would it show if I ran it again? Seriously asking, not trying to be dismissive of the suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Sounds like a failing HDD to me. If you have an externa drive you could restore your old drive to it and try to boot from that and see if it does the same thing. If it would even retore from it... that takes a lot of reading...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.