dual processor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC I3, MACBOOKPRO,IPAD,IPHONE 5
i have a G5 dual core, i need to up grade my system so i want to put a new operating system on second harddrive to run new programmes , will this affect my other harddrive withmac os x10.1 on, basically my iphone cant sync with older itunes so i need to up grade but my osx is to old to support newer itunes. Also i want to up load new Logic aswell as new programmes.. But dont want to affect older programmes

help if you can
i need to up load mac os x 10.5

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have a G5 dual core, i need to up grade my system so i want to put a new operating system on second harddrive to run new programmes , will this affect my other harddrive withmac os x10.1 on, basically my iphone cant sync with older itunes so i need to up grade but my osx is to old to support newer itunes. Also i want to up load new Logic aswell as new programmes.. But dont want to affect older programmes

help if you can
i need to up load mac os x 10.5

- A 2nd HD won't effect anything.
- I doubt that your G5 currently has OS 10.1 installed on it. The oldest OS version for the Powermac G5 "dual core" was 10.4.2...the oldest OS version for the "dual-processor" Powermac G5 was 10.2.7.
- If you need OS 10.5...you don't "upload it". You have to buy an OS 10.5 install disk...and install it from the disk. These 10.5 install disks are not cheap...they cost from $100-$125 (and more) here in the US.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok its running 10.4.11 what is the best thing to do? and is it worth getting an updated osx and putting on 2nd harddrive, i have been given this mac so dont know anything about , but i ant to install latest logic as well???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok its running 10.4.11 what is the best thing to do? and is it worth getting an updated osx and putting on 2nd harddrive, i have been given this mac so dont know anything about , but i ant to install latest logic as well???

You could leave your current HD as is...install a 2nd HD...and install OS 10.5 on the 2nd HD. The only decision is, do you want to spend the money on an OS 10.5 install disk ($100-$125+ here in the US). If you want to install the latest version of "Logic"...you pretty much have to install 10.5...since it requires a minimum of OS 10.5.7.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have a dual procc, so second harddrive installed it shows up as scratch hd, but no operating system on it, so would i just install on that hardrive new OS X and it wont affect 1st harddrive with OSX 10.4.11

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have a dual procc, so second harddrive installed it shows up as scratch hd, but no operating system on it, so would i just install on that hardrive new OS X and it wont affect 1st harddrive with OSX 10.4.11

Just so we know...do you have a "dual-core" or a "dual-processor" Powermac G5? Your initial post said "dual-core"...and your last post said "dual-procc". Apple made both types.

As far as the hard drives...yes...just install that 2nd hard drive, and install (I'm assuming) OS 10.5 on it. Then when you restart the computer, you hold down the "Option" key...and choose which drive to boot from (either the 10.4.11 drive, or the 2nd drive with 10.5 on it).

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.