• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon 5D MKII & iMovie

Reaction score
Hi,

Now I know iMovie most likely needs me to convert the 5D footage to a format it can use/read properly. I can import the footage, only to the timeline, however, yet it won't let me edit it in any way.

Suggestions, tips, tricks, and a workflow would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (intel i7) - 2TB - 8GB Ram
Hi,

Now I know iMovie most likely needs me to convert the 5D footage to a format it can use/read properly. I can import the footage, only to the timeline, however, yet it won't let me edit it in any way.

Suggestions, tips, tricks, and a workflow would be great. Thanks.

I just uploaded a short vid from my 7D and I dont think it had to do anything to it... it even showed up as video on my screen saver :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks. The trouble is I can't edit it just play it. It doesn't show up in the event pane. That's what makes mr think I have to convert it to edit it. Dint get me wrong I can chop it, but can't add effects etc or even export.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (intel i7) - 2TB - 8GB Ram
ok, I have not went that far with mine. sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Thanks. The trouble is I can't edit it just play it. It doesn't show up in the event pane. That's what makes mr think I have to convert it to edit it. Dint get me wrong I can chop it, but can't add effects etc or even export.

What version of iMovie...? Are you importing it into iMovie..? Not just dropping on your desktop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to add it to an existing event or create a new one to import..so it's definitely in an event somewhere.

Just start a new project and drag a clip to that project...If it imports the file ok its gotta edit it as well.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks, but the answer is it doesn't I'm going to try importing at a lower resolution as I've seen as one suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It won't matter...iMovie 11 will import 1080 footage...it doesn't get any better.
I have a Canon EOS series camera with iMovie 11 no problems...You probably have the same file structure...I'm sure it's something minor...aticked box somewhere...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.