WHERE CAN I GET iMAC MEMORY UPGRADES PLEASE ??

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I am looking to either sell my 2 yr. old iMac 24" - or more likely to get additional memory i.e. a 500 gb internal drive - or mebbe 1tb..

All I can see advertised when I google this-or even go to Apple sites - is additional 4gb RAM but not the internal memory I want.

Anyone direct me somewhere I can purchase this from ?
I live in Europe and use Amazon.co.uk a lot - but can't find them there either !

Many thanks in advance - as ever !
You Guyz - are Great to we less-techy folk !!:|

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You're searching for the wrong thing..

What you want is internal storage or hard drive not internal memory or RAM.

Upgrading an iMac's HD is not a trivial thing, you can follow places like iFixIt and others that do the breakdown to follow it..

You might be better of finding some local Apple-savvy stores and have them upgrade the HDD for you..

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many thanks in advance - as ever !
You Guyz - are Great to we less-techy folk !!:|

Today's computer lesson for "less-techy folk":;)

ram = computer's memory (the temporary "volatile" place where the OS & open applications reside while in use). New computers in 2011 usually have between 2-4 gigabytes of ram.

hard drive = the primary long-term "non-volatile" storage location for OS files, applications, application documents, photos, music, and video files. New computers in 2011 usually have between 250-750 gigabytes of hard drive storage.

End of lesson,:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
You're searching for the wrong thing..

What you want is internal storage or hard drive not internal memory or RAM.

Upgrading an iMac's HD is not a trivial thing, you can follow places like iFixIt and others that do the breakdown to follow it..

You might be better of finding some local Apple-savvy stores and have them upgrade the HDD for you..

Regards

OK Guys-thanks again.
I was perusing the manual that came with my new iMac21.5" and from a cursory look I had mistaken the RAM upgrade for the hard drive in the method of fitting the manual shows can be done by even un-skilled techies !
So - changing the internal hard drive is obviously a different matter, essentially done by trained technicians !
Is it in that case-better to stick with my original 500gb-and just use external drives to boost the native memory ?
FINAL QUESTION - for now!
On this subject - my 1st iMac-the 24" in question here - has a strange 'additional' amount of memory - as well as the 500gb core, it also has 138gb's - from where I can not fathom !
Any ideas on this anomaly ?
I have 2 other Macs with 500gb internal hard drives-and they are both the standard 500gb's....:|
I remember at first getting confused with the 'Macintosh Hard Disc' - and the 'Start Up disc' - what is the difference please ?
I don't seem to have this distinction on my other 2 Macs with 500gb hard drives.... :|

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
are you sure this isnt just the amount of free space it has? has it been partitioned (effectively split in two - to check this go into Disk Utility and check the partition table.

Macintosh Hard Disk (notice the k) is the hard drive, while the Macintosh Install discs (c) are the DVDs that came with your computer.

The start up disk (k) ;) is the hard drive with the operating system (snow leopard) on it, and the hard drive the system boots, or starts up, from. without a start up disk the computer will not function. "Macintosh HD" is usually the start up drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.