Saving space on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Pre Unibody
Hey Guys,
I'm getting a MacBook Air 128GB SSD as a travel laptop and am increasingly worried about the space limitations I'll have to contend with.

I know that there is a way to do an install of Snow Leopard and shave some useless data out of it, i.e. (Laguages I'll never use).

I did a little googling and searched the boards some, and I know I've seen an article before.

Can anyone help me with this or have any other good ideas for saving space on my new mac. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My suggestion would be not to "clog" the SSD with videos, movies, ton's of mp3's, and ton's of photos. Not to say you shouldn't store any of these files on your MacBook Air...just be selective.

Some folks feel they need to store their whole library (mp3's, videos, photo's) on their computers internal drive...and that just leads to a full drive.

FWIW...I've had my MacBook Pro for about 2.5 years now...it has a 160gig HD...and I've been "cruising along" only using 30-40gig the whole time.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Monolingual will get rid of unwanted languages:
Monolingual

Plus you could always delete the 100s of printer drivers that you will never use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with Monolingual and any application that removes languages, is it may cause problems with other programs. Monolingual for example will cause MS Office to refuse to update - and there are other programs that it interferes with also.

Follow Nick's advice.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Only keep applications that you use regularly on your machine. Everything else should go onto a portable external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.