Best professional alternative to OSX Address Book?

Reaction score
I need a really good Contacts Manager for Mac. I cant seem to find any that meets my demands:

• Seamless sync to 10 persons at office (and other places, must be over internet)
• Everyone must be able to edit the contents.
• Must handle Groups in a sofisticated way.
• Must be really reliable.
• Ability to edit custom fields (like to add checkbox to specific contacts and sort contacts with theese checkboxes)

BONUS
• Ability to mail directly from within the app (with Gmail acconunt or other)
• Send surveys to specific groups directly from the app

Have found a few apps for windows that does this, but none for Mac.

(Bento does not fix this, neither does Address Book with Google Sync – not reliable and does not sync all fields for example)

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like you're looking for Outlook with an Exchange server?
Seriously though, have you tried Outlook 2011 and using a hosted exchange server solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
I need a really good Contacts Manager for Mac. I cant seem to find any that meets my demands:

• Seamless sync to 10 persons at office (and other places, must be over internet)
• Everyone must be able to edit the contents.
• Must handle Groups in a sofisticated way.
• Must be really reliable.
• Ability to edit custom fields (like to add checkbox to specific contacts and sort contacts with theese checkboxes)

BONUS
• Ability to mail directly from within the app (with Gmail acconunt or other)
• Send surveys to specific groups directly from the app

Have found a few apps for windows that does this, but none for Mac.

(Bento does not fix this, neither does Address Book with Google Sync – not reliable and does not sync all fields for example)

Any ideas?

Would you give a thought at using the paying version of Plaxo ?

The trick would go like this:

1 - You use the Mac OS address book (mine is Mac OS 10.4);

2 - You open an account with Plaxo (<http://www.plaxo.com/>) and seal it everywhere to close any access to your Plaxo account to outsiders, which includes ANY Plaxo members;

3 - You synchronize them, using the Plaxo-supplied tools (note: this is a for-pay service which you may test for a 30-days for-free testing period).

Bingo. Now, you can either synchronize Plaxo with an Exchange server (on a Windows environment that is) or simply use the relational abilities of Plaxo, which I have not experimented through.

Now look at this:

• Seamless sync to 10 persons at office (and other places, must be over internet). This you do by getting these people to register on Plaxo and be your "Plaxo-Buddies. The Plaxo would effect this autoupdate sync and this would carry over to your mac address book
• Everyone must be able to edit the contents. See above (Plaxo-Buddies that is. However, eveybody would only edit "ITS OWN" content, which would reverberate to others' address books
• Must handle Groups in a sofisticated way. Dunno what that means, Address book, I believe, handles groups in a wonderfully configurable way (intelligent groups).

I use this to synchronize my address book and calendar from an office fireproofed Windows machine (and its slave buddy Blackberry) and my home
mac, it works surprisingly well.

Just my 2c in a quite unprobable route.

The other solution proposed (Exchange 2011 for mac) is more Microsoft-friendly, but mine is quite surprisingly efficient. :):):);D;D;D

HTH

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks

I will check out Plaxo for sure. I'm not that interrested in Microsof solutions.

Reaction score
Did you find a solution ?

I will check out Plaxo for sure. I'm not that interrested in Microsof solutions.

Dear Frankeman90 and other forum users,

I have the same need as described above for our small company and would be very interested to find out more about Frankeman90 experience: Did you find a solution? What options did you consider? Was Plaxo useful? Did you have any privacy issues?

Thank you very much in advance for sharing this with us, it will save much time !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.