No Volume Available?..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I don't know if I have changed a setting or what, but I cannot play any sound from the iPad speakers.

Within each app that would have sound (Virtuoso, Netflix, XFinity, Etc) where the sound options are it says "No Volume Available". It works perfectly fine if I put in my earphones or portable speakers. But I cannot play sound out of the iPad speakers anymore. Do you have any suggestions?

I've checked the settings and can't find anything. I also selected to reset all settings and that hasn't helped. I've made sure the volume is up all the way. The side switch is used for screen rotation lock and not the mute option.

I'm so frustrated!

TIA!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After searching around my iPad, I couldn't find anything that would mute it in every app.

Make sure in Settings - General - Sounds - the slider is all the way up.
Although, I doubt this is it with the "no sound available" you're getting.
Sounds like a hardware issue.

I'd try a reset first - hold down the home and power buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple icon on the screen, 20-30 seconds. This does not affect anything.

Next I'd do a restore in iTunes.

After that, a trip to Apple sounds likely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Press the home button twice to bring up your Application Tray. Slide it to the right to show your iPod controls. Since the switch is bound to rotation, you should have a mute button on the far left. Is it activated?

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
@bobtomay -- Thanks for the reply. I have looked all around too and couldn't come up with anything. I ended up calling Apple this morning.

@EvenStranger -- That's the steps I took with Apple Tech Support to fix it. Unfortunately, I didn't see your reply before calling Apple, but I was only on the phone with them maybe a total of 10-15 minutes and spent no time in queue.

Here is what the tech rep said:

There is a known issue about this that they are having the engineers look into, and they imagine will be part of the next iPad2 update. *Something* is causing the mute to be switched on without actually taking the steps yourself to do it.

When selected, that mute feature is only supposed to mute the keyboard clicks but it seems to be muting the internal speakers for all apps. They are only aware of it happening with people who have designated the side switch to be for screen rotation lock.

For now, that is how you fix the problem but the rep imagines it will be part of the next update, whenever that happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.