Changing MTU in OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it appears that in order to optimize my internet connection i should change my MTU setting to 1492 instead of the os x default of 1500.

this is on a verizon fios 15/5 connection, the guy at tech support told me i should do it but couldnt tell me how because he'd be liable or something and also didnt really know 100% how to do it

apparently with out the change macs can only connect at 8.7mb/s as compared to the 15 it should be able to connect at

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
whats MTU? I'm sick atm, so I'm not all here in case its something obvious. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open up System Preferences then Network then click on the ethernet port. You will see 5 areas you can select starting with TCP/IP and the last Ethernet. Select the Ethernet Tab and you will see the Ethernet ID and Configure. Click and change it from Automatically to Manually (Advanced. There you can change your MTU. Just select the Custom and put in 1492.

Hope that helps. It's the same in both Panther and Tiger.

MTU means, Maximum Transmission Unit, the largest physical packet size, measured in bytes, that a network can transmit. Any messages larger than the MTU are divided into smaller packets before being sent.

DSL should be set at 1492.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
So let me get this straight,...

You took optimization instructions from a guy who didn't know how to instruct you?

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
dtravis, does this matter if i am connected via airport?

but an a+ write up...it might not be a very frequently asked question but i think this whole MTU thing should go into the FAQs with travis's credit attached!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.