Macbook Pro Overheating when I play World of Warcraft

Reaction score
Hello All

I have a nearly brand new 13inch Macbook Pro, the model is the one right before this recent one.
13-inch: 2.7 GHz

* 2.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 500GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000
* Built-in battery (7 hours)2

And my computer keeps overheating and then causing it to freeze

I live in Hawaii so its already hot out and I found the smcfancontrol app but it doesn't seem to help

Even when I run WoW on the lowest possible settings it still overheats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If it's nearly new, it's still under warranty, right? Hope you're on Oahu; there's a few Apple stores there. Take it in.

Keep in mind, though, that even a properly working Macbook can only be used at temperatures up to 95F, but I don't think it's that hot there yet.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
are you sure its overheating?

1. uninstall smcfancontrol, unless you want to break your laptop.

2. run a widget such as istatpro, and tell us what temps you are seeing, and how fast the fan is spinning. then report back.

or take it to the apple store.

Reaction score
You should definitely get iStatpro, it gives you a detailed list of pretty much everything that's running on your computer along with the battery health and temperature gauge for multiple parts of the laptop.

For me, the hottest my laptop gets is around 87 degrees Celsius, at that point the fans are going over 6000rpm and the desk is quite hot.

OP
R
Reaction score
I figured the problem out it was a kernal issue that stemmed from me using a 3rd party application because of problems with my mouse due to WoW's issues with the newest patch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What 3rd party app are you using for the mouse?

OP
R
Reaction score
KeyRemap4Macbook

In the recent patch they made a change to deal with expose/spaces problem that made it unable to use a shift modifier with mouse buttons. This was a solution, I've since found a better one that doesn't crash my computer at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't what I was using to do the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.