StarCraft trouble with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I just got a new MacBook Pro 2011 13" 2.7 GHZ model.

I wanted to play StarCraft 1 today. After installing the game the first few times I tried to run it, it would "unexpectedly quit". Now, when I open the installer and choose the option "Play StarCraft" it just closes the window and nothing happens.

What is Rosetta? I think I might need this to play. I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I still play SC1 in Snow Leopard so I can confirm that it does indeed work. Have you used the OS X installer and installed the most recent patch?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if I used the OSX installer. I have the battle chest and used the actual discs. After putting them in my macbook I just clicked install on the starcraft window that came up automatically.

As far as the patch I did download the 1.161 patch for the expansion pack brood war as the directions on Blizzard's support page said.

I just switched from PC to mac so im not 100% on macs and their organization and all, so sorry if my description is vague.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If I remember correctly, I had to use the OS X installer separately. Try reinstalling Starcraft using the OS X installer on the website that I linked to in my previous post.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright, so I reinstalled StarCraft by going through battle.net and registering the 26 digit cd key. I used their installer and everything. But I seem to be right back in the same place. When open Applications > StarCraft > StarCraft (Carbon) in my dock I see the StarCraft CD logo thing come up for about a half of a second and then it just disappears, nothing happens.

Is it the rosetta thing? I've read that Snow Leopard doesn't come with rosetta, but I can't figure out where to download it.

Why can't I just put the disc in, install it and play it? Too simple huh?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I cant remember if it is a powerpc app...

Rosetta is a tool that allows intel users to run apps compiled for PPC processors (the older generation of CPUs apple used to use.) since then, all new Macs come with Intel machines.

in short, if SC is a PPC app, you need rosetta to run it.

(FWIW, I had to use the separate OSX installer, like vansmith.)

Reaction score
Have you unzipped the files received from Battle.net with anything other than the Unarchiver app provided by Snow Leopard? I had problems with Starcraft because of this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well thanks for the help forums. Nothing I do seems to make any difference, so I'm giving up. Maybe some day I'll find more motivation to figure this out.

Thanks again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.