How to prevent wakeup with usb phone?

Reaction score
I use my Mac to charge my phone and, at the same time, use my phone as a tethered modem for the Mac. It is a mutually satisfying experience for both machines.

The happy couple isn't without their problems, though. When the phone has to go to work every morning, unplugging it from the Mac causes the Mac to wake up. The Mac is then grumpy the rest of the day, and has to be soothed and massaged to get it operating normally again.

I have my phone set to "charge only" on its usb port, and that is all I can do on that end. When I plug the phone in, the Mac tries to mount it, but gives up with "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

What words of persuasion may I tell my Mac to prevent it from awaking from sweet slumber each morning, and perhaps improve its sex life?

Thanks again!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Disable the USB ports? Of course, the phone wouldn't charge then.

Plugging or unplugging a USB device is going to wake the machine up. Not a way to stop this behaviour that I'm aware of.

Easiest way would be to use a wall charger for the phone instead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Easiest way would be to use a wall charger for the phone instead.

+1 I've purchased two Belkin wall charger sets. One for home and the other for our office. They're $29.95 at Target and will charge iPods, phones, iPad, you name it. They even include cables.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or just unplug it like you do now. I use my MBP to charge the phone on occasion and I wake it up by doing the same, just unplugging it when I'm ready to head out.

But trust me, it quickly falls back to sleep and doesn't remember a thing.

OP
W
Reaction score
lol - not sure, but the Mac may consider that rendesvous (sp?) to be "cheating". After all, besides getting a charge out of the Mac, my phone also provides tethered Internet for the benefit of my Mac. Not sure yet if this will be a permanent arrangement, but the Verizon 4G speed of 5-15 Mbps is persuasive.

Incidentally, the phone's 4G signal strength is significantly boosted by being close to the aluminum case of my Mac. Usually I get zero to 1 bar where I live, but when the phone is next to the Mac it rises to 2-3 bars (out of 4 max). That translates to faster speeds - a good partnership indeed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.