• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PowerbookG4's Live Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
In this thread is where I will keep everybody up to date in my quest for providing live support for the people of the forums via AIM, possibly soon to add new instant messaging services to the list I support.
For those of you who do not know my aim screen name for live support for the people at the forums or friends and family of forum members is: MacForumsMan I intend on helping anybody who asks for help, or just a little chat if somebody feels like talking about pretty much anything.. mac related or not.

Lately I have been talking and helping people at any hour of the day, now that summer is over I will have to stop accepting IM's at any hour and only accept IM's AFTER 2:30PM AND BEFORE 11PM EST due to school hours and a time I would like to go to bed every night to have a good night sleep before school the next morning.

If you have any questions or comments you can leave them at this thread or if you would like to request me to IM you at my convience for those of you who do not feel like they can IM me you can leave such request here (although you are all welcome to IM me at any time I understand how some people are shy since that is the way I am myself)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
cool, but have you asked permission to use mac forums name? are you charging? I doubt you are, but what about questions you can't answer, or things you don't know, no offense.
also, the point of the forum is for people to post, then others can refer to it later, your one on one chat defeats the purpose of tis forum, and will most likely take members from it if you are able to help them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i wouldnt worry about it macmac :)

he's done this for a little while and helped a few guys out that cant wait as far as i know over AIM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats cool, but I get pm's and people trying to chat that want help without posting, and schweb has told me not to do that, refer them to post in the forum, if this is the case, I can stop posting and start answering all these pm's and people asking for help through chat and email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well ill pass then as i didnt know that, i guess we'll have to wait and see what the man himself says

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
To be absolutely honest, we would prefer that all help be done in the forums. There are many benefits to this including: everyone will be able to see the question and answer and learn from it and more people will be able to help solve the problem or give advice.

Overall this is a forum so our preference is of course to use this space. While you are free to help people over IM if you so choose, we would ask that you don't actively solicit to help people over IM instead of the forums since it defeats the whole purpose of this place.

If your concern is immediate help I would recommend using the Mac-Forums.com IRC channel rather than IM so that way at least the community still has the opportunity to participate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and thats the truth because schweb said so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
To be absolutely honest, we would prefer that all help be done in the forums. There are many benefits to this including: everyone will be able to see the question and answer and learn from it and more people will be able to help solve the problem or give advice.

Overall this is a forum so our preference is of course to use this space. While you are free to help people over IM if you so choose, we would ask that you don't actively solicit to help people over IM instead of the forums since it defeats the whole purpose of this place.

If your concern is immediate help I would recommend using the Mac-Forums.com IRC channel rather than IM so that way at least the community still has the opportunity to participate.
exactly. ;) also, how about using mac-forums in his name for help, since he is not a partner of the forum or directly involved in any decisions or such of the forum?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Do to comments.. my aim screen name has been canceled.

L

lvarini

I'm In Agony!!! Please Help!

I bought my powerbook the day they were released at the paris expo 2 years ago... never had any problems with it, and today i'm still in denial about what's happening.
i came back to my computer and opened safari and everything froze.
i tried to end the application but never got the Force Quit Applications window to appear.
i waited a while and nothing happened... so i restarted my computer by pressing the power button... well EVERYTHING IS GONE! and by everything i mean, all my personal files. my music, pictures, movies, documents, contacts, calendars. my desktop is blank except for the HD icon.
all my software that i installed is still there... office, toaster, etc... if it wasn't for that my laptop would look like i bought it today.
i don't know where it all went!!

though, when i select my HD in Finder, it tells me i have 39 GBs available, out of a total 80... so i'm assuming the information is still somewhere.

PLEASE HELP ME! I'm going to start ripping my hair out any minute.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.