Restore applications on startup

Reaction score
Hi.

Shutting my Mac automatically terminates applications running, and closes the files open.

I would like my computer to "remember" what was open at shutdown, so that all can be restored at startup.

I use a laptop, and have to shutdown/startup often.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use a laptop, and have to shutdown/startup often.

No, you don't "have" to.

Shutting my Mac automatically terminates applications running, and closes the files open.

I would like my computer to "remember" what was open at shutdown, so that all can be restored at startup.

Sorry, but not gonna happen. Not, that is, unless you start putting your machine to sleep, instead of shutting it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As suggested by bob, closing the lid will simply put it into Sleep mode, when you open the lid again your computer will wake and all open applications, windows and documents will be right where you left them. Also Sleep mode uses very very little power. I can put my Macbook Pro into Sleep mode without the mains charger being plugged into it, and the battery will last a good couple of days. Bearing in mind that my laptop is a few years old now and the battery is the original that came with the machine, i'm sure newer laptops can hold their charge alot better these days and the power management will be improved too.

Hope this helps

- Simon
P.S I hardly ever shut down my laptop... maybe once a month at most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Like its been said, you never actually have to shut down your computer. Mine is never shut down, just restarted occasionally when I have to do a system update that requires it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.