Imac G5 Isight Issue ( 2.1 GHz, 20 inch)

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a iMac G5 (iSight) 2.1 GHz, 20 inch.

The issue is that it seems to be suffering from random screen freezes which can only be resolved by a hard reset. This can occur at random intervals.

Intially I had an issue whereby the operating system would not install and freeze upon startup or get to a certain point and then freeze. I over came this by removing some ram and then after the system sat at 1 min remaining on the install for approx 3 hours I pressed a few buttons to get a install log and the process completed.

Once fixed the issues continued, the fax runs loud and suffers system freezes again that can only be exited via the hard reset. This can happen upon start up or at random intervals.

Any ideas gratefully recived. I have however tried the reset smu, nvram combo's.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System freezes are usually associated with a hardware problem. First suspect is memory. That should be easy enough to check either with software or by substitution. A free memory checker can be downloaded from here.

The second suspect is the graphics processor. Since that's hard wired on your G5 logic board, about the only thing you can do is run the Apple Hardware Test to see if it shows up with an error. See this LINK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.