iPod or Palm ???

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I've been a Palm user for years - mainly to have a calander and contacts on the go - but have used some other basic programs as well ----- but I'm finding its sort of over-kill plus all the over head of sync'ing etc.

I've seen that both the iPods and the iPod mini will support iCal and address book --- I also see that they will run iFlash (a flash card study program for macs)

Are many folks using these aspects of your Pods along with the music ??

Is it really easy to sync / xfer files ??? I'm an ex-techie, but I like things dead-nuts simple

Any comments on iPod vs iPod mini ???? Money is an issue - I don't want to under buy - but I don't want to over buy either. Its needs to be reliable - screen should be easy to ready - hold a few hundred songs and a fair amount of data too.

THX :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
The main thing that I find limiting in using the Calander or Contacts on an iPod is the fact you can't add new contacts or events with the iPod itself. You can only do it on the machine and sync it. It's nice to have with me sometimes when I don't have time to pull out my laptop... But it's certainly not a palm replacement by any means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah I would go 20gb ipod.. plenty of songs, color screen so it is easy to read your address book and iCal.. lots of songs, lots of data... I would recomend the 20gb.. the cheapest of the actuall ipod models.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

sarahsboy18 said:
The main thing that I find limiting in using the Calander or Contacts on an iPod is the fact you can't add new contacts or events with the iPod itself. You can only do it on the machine and sync it. It's nice to have with me sometimes when I don't have time to pull out my laptop... But it's certainly not a palm replacement by any means.

OK !!!! thanks for the clarity on this ..... iPod is view only - no input capability. I'll have to mull this over ---- I wish Apple built a Palm-Pod :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I was faced with the same dilemma.

I tried to switch over and use the Contacts and Calendar functions on my iPod, but I found that more often than not I wanted to add a number or appointment while I was away from my iBook. Writing names, numbers, and appointments on paper defeats the purpose of a portable electronic organizer.

So I'm back to carrying both my iPod and Tungsten E in my briefcase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
At the moment, most units that try to double or triple as PDA, Phone, and iPod type of tools are clunkly and large and really don't work all that well for any of those functions.

I think that's changing but for the money right now, and considering how fast things are changing, I would stick with separate items for different needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.