Mail Application

Reaction score
Question- Do you guys really feel adamant about using the mail app in OS X? Or a divine love for it in some way? I tried it when I first got my mac a couple macs back, but I can't find a good reason to drop gmail and switch to this permanently. The main reason, and maybe the only reason I can think of, is 1) I don't have a @me.com email address, thus I'm not tied to it and 2) If and when I don't have my laptop, I can't access it. I travel a bunch, so with any computer, I can access gmail on the run anywhere. I dunno...... Mail, I'm trying to love you, but it's just not working.... Anyone have any suggestions
or reasoning behind the madness???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have an Exchange server I connect to via Outlook. However, you can connect Mail to Gmail by enabling IMAP in Gmail. That way, you can use Mail app and still have access to the emails online from whatever computer you happen to be on.

You dont ever want to use POP3, as the email will not be accessible after it is downloaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
^^ What he said. :) I use the Mail app to view my Gmail. Super easy to set up and use. After so many years of working in an office, I'm used to a separate window for my e-mail (Outlook). So, have Mail open as a separate app and not using an internet browser makes more sense to me and helps me function more efficiently. You may find your needs and preferences dictate otherwise. Try it out and if you don't like it, you can delete the account, remove the Mail icon from the dock, and go back to web browser email.

OP
S
Reaction score
You dont ever want to use POP3, as the email will not be accessible after it is downloaded.

hmmm i always used pop.... Then again, im not very computer literate.
I was rather asking why people use mail vs gmail. I just feel its a bit counterintuitive.

what are the pros of using a mail application, such as "mail" vs just using gmail.com?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
POP3 downloads to the local client and removes (without special settings set on the server side) the server copy. Because of this, you cannot see all your mail from different locations. However, IMAP sync's between server and client without moving either. Make changes on one, the changes are reflected across all clients.

People use mail clients like Outlook and Mail mostly for added features and ascetics. I use Outlook for the added security and features and having all mail, contacts, calendar functions in one app...

It comes down to personal choice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Not entirely true. Provided you do not tell mail to remove messages from the server they can usually be accessed direct on line from your ISP server. However, not all ISPs have that option. I happen to use GMail which does keep the messages on its server.

But as member Deckyon recommended, it's always better to use IMAP.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There isn't really a benefit unless you use some of the features in the client. In fact, some features such as archiving your emails can't be done through an email client (I'm referring to GMail's archiving, not create a local archive). Honestly, it's up to you - if you feel more comfortable with the web client, stick with it. I have it pinned as a tab so that it always remains open on the far left hand side so it is always accessible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A desktop client can integrate with other desktop applications in ways that the web interface can't. The "mail this document" commands in Pages and Excel and, the "mail photo" button in iPhoto, iCal event invitations, and mailto: links all work as designed. It can respond to and trigger AppleScripts. It has an icon in the Dock that you can drag things to to create messages.

A desktop client can show you cached mail when our internet connection is down.

A single desktop client can work with all your mail accounts, eg. personal and school or work email, and show your mail all in one place with shared address books.

And keep in mind, using Mail doesn't mean you can't use the Gmail web interface, or vice versa. Once you've set Mail up, you can use it as much or as little as you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.