Help! Can't restore from Time Machine backup

kdh

Reaction score
Help please folks.

Have replaced internal hard drive in iMac and I'm trying to restore all my backed up time machine files from an external hard drive.

I've booted from the 1st OSX install DVD and it starts restoring ok.
However, a couple of hours in, I'm getting a message that some of the files can't be restored, and that I need to restart and try again. I've done this 3 times now. I've verified the new drive.

Any ideas please, helping a lonely person staring at the screen.

Many thanks, Kim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Try another method - boot from the install DVD, re-format the new drive, install OS X then use Migration Assistant instead of Time Machine.

OP
K

kdh

Reaction score
Have done this so far and no luck:

1. Erased and formatted new hard drive, fresh OSX install, software update, restore from entering Time Machine.

2. Boot from install DVD, restore from Time Machine (fails and sends up a log after three hours)

3. Copying from Migration assistant with fresh install, fails after an hour.

Starting to give up....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try running Disk Utility from the OS X install disk and have it verify the disk that your Time Machine backup is on. If it's an external drive connected to your network you'll need to directly connect it to the Mac. If any errors are found Disk Utility may be able to repair them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
When you boot from the install DVD, go to disk utilites and verify and repair your original drive, then try the Migration Assistant again.

(oops, beaten to the post)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.