Installing Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack in Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac11,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i3 Processor Speed: 3
I thought to put this up here in case any one runs into this problem. I use Virtual Box from Oracle as my virtual machine player and manager. I recently updated to the most recent version which is 4.0.6 rc 71344.

With the update you may lose support for USB 2.0. To fix this you need to download the "VirtualBox 4.0.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" Here is the download url:

Downloads - VirtualBox

When you download the package. You need to start up your Virtual Box.
Go to "VirtualBox" at the Top Left corner of your Mac and click on it. Click on "Preferences."
Then click on "Extensions."

At the middle right hand corner is a little icon. Put your pointer over this and it will read "add". Click on this and look for the extension pack you just downloaded. I downloaded it to my download folder. Select the package and click OK. From there just follow the Virtual Box instructions. Then your set! USB 2.0 support will be restored for your virtual machines. Hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting that. I'm a bit surprised that Oracle is doing anything at all with VirtualBox. The latest I've heard is that VirtualBox and OpenOffice have both been relegated to the "back burner".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a note - you can double click the extension pack as well which is probably quicker.

I hope they haven't relegated it to the back burner. They still seem to be making bugfixes and they did release version 4. For all I know though, Sun would have developed it faster ;).

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac11,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i3 Processor Speed: 3
So true. I miss Sun and their development team. Only time will tell if Oracle will be steady in their commitment with Virtual Box and other projects devoured from Sun. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.