Switched, switched back and now permanent switcher

Reaction score
Hi All!

In August of last year I bought a MB and at the time was happy with my purchase. I was just so sick and tired of all the issues with PC's. I wanted a laptop that would perform and not have to update my OS every 2 days that would make some other program incompatible or buggy. The MB I purchased was the mid 2010 (13-inch, 250 HD, upgraded ram 4G). Well....I still needed to run windows on it because I had too many programs that were windows only. So I purchased Parallels. And that's when my problems began.

It was so slow and clunky to the point that it aggravated me enough to move back to my old PC. I used the MB for about 2 months (if that) before I was ready to just throw it out. Even when I was running Mac only it was painfully slow. So I just let the MB sit on a shelf until last week when the PC starting giving me the blue screen of death. So I picked the MB back up and started trying to use it again. Slow as all get it up it was.

I started reading on here about how happy people were with their MB's and I just couldn't figure out why I wasn't experiencing the same thing. So I said I'm taking this thing to the Apple store to see if they could help me. Wouldn't you know the problem was so noob related it was embarrassing. All the tech did was kill all of the programs in the start up folder and lo and behold. All of the memory was released and things began to work a lot a better.

The tech told me that with the type of programs I was running on the MB that I would have limitations. She told me that I could try Bootcamp instead of Parallels so that windows wouldn't compete with mac OS, however it would still be slow but a lot better than what I have now. I wasn't happy about that but at least my ole MB did work better.

But....I was IN the Apple store with a big shiny MBP staring at me and I was staring back at it. It started whistling at me. It kept calling my name and winking at me. I couldn't resist it anymore so I walked straight over there and started playing with it. OMG was that thing so awesome. It was quick, very responsive and one handsome devil. Once I got my hands on that thing I couldn't let it go.

I tell you what? I walked out of there today with my brand new MBP (15 inch) with upgraded ram to 8G's. This thing works so flawlessly that I just can't put it down. The people at the Apple store are so helpful and knowledgeable about their products. I learned quite a few nuggets while there as well.

So I am now a happy switcher and will hang around here more so that I can really learn how to use it better this time. This laptop is just the bomb! ;D

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Yeah the new mbp's are beautiful machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Great story.

The only experience I've had at a Apple store was when I was looking to buy. They answered all of my silly questions and were mare than happy to spend as much time with me as I required.

Great customer service, even though I was not yet a customer.

And yes, I can understand you walking out with a new MBP. Everything is so "shiny" in that store. I want to walk out with one of each.

Monty

Hi All!

In August of last year I bought a MB and at the time was happy with my purchase. I was just so sick and tired of all the issues with PC's. I wanted a laptop that would perform and not have to update my OS every 2 days that would make some other program incompatible or buggy. The MB I purchased was the mid 2010 (13-inch, 250 HD, upgraded ram 4G). Well....I still needed to run windows on it because I had too many programs that were windows only. So I purchased Parallels. And that's when my problems began.

It was so slow and clunky to the point that it aggravated me enough to move back to my old PC. I used the MB for about 2 months (if that) before I was ready to just throw it out. Even when I was running Mac only it was painfully slow. So I just let the MB sit on a shelf until last week when the PC starting giving me the blue screen of death. So I picked the MB back up and started trying to use it again. Slow as all get it up it was.

I started reading on here about how happy people were with their MB's and I just couldn't figure out why I wasn't experiencing the same thing. So I said I'm taking this thing to the Apple store to see if they could help me. Wouldn't you know the problem was so noob related it was embarrassing. All the tech did was kill all of the programs in the start up folder and lo and behold. All of the memory was released and things began to work a lot a better.

The tech told me that with the type of programs I was running on the MB that I would have limitations. She told me that I could try Bootcamp instead of Parallels so that windows wouldn't compete with mac OS, however it would still be slow but a lot better than what I have now. I wasn't happy about that but at least my ole MB did work better.

But....I was IN the Apple store with a big shiny MBP staring at me and I was staring back at it. It started whistling at me. It kept calling my name and winking at me. I couldn't resist it anymore so I walked straight over there and started playing with it. OMG was that thing so awesome. It was quick, very responsive and one handsome devil. Once I got my hands on that thing I couldn't let it go.

I tell you what? I walked out of there today with my brand new MBP (15 inch) with upgraded ram to 8G's. This thing works so flawlessly that I just can't put it down. The people at the Apple store are so helpful and knowledgeable about their products. I learned quite a few nuggets while there as well.

So I am now a happy switcher and will hang around here more so that I can really learn how to use it better this time. This laptop is just the bomb! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nice! Welcome to the forums!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Great story - welcome to the fold and hoping it treats ya as nice as its cooing.

OP
TweetyMac
Reaction score
Yes this thing really rocks! I have the backlit keyboard and geez is that cool or what? The keys are really quiet and they feel a lot different than the MB. They almost seem to have some sort of spring in them (which is cool).

Oh and the battery! I have been on this thing pretty much since about 3pm yesterday. Not totally non-stop but enough to notice that this battery has NOT been charged yet. It's 1am and I still have almost 2 hours left on the battery! That in itself is the best time I have ever experienced on a laptop. I have the Watts battery app on here that I transferred from the MB so I don't know if that is helping or what. I just can't believe this darn battery is lasting so long!

Reaction score
That's great you like the computer man, I knew you would lol; yea I have an 08 blackbook and love the thing; aside from the non glass trackpad, no backlit keyboard (which I don't really need), and the weaker battery (which is removable so I call that a plus), it's right up there with the new ones.

It's great though that you upgraded the RAM though, I have 4 gigs on mine which allows it to keep up with the Pro and newer MB's; your' s should last you a very, very long time.

OP
TweetyMac
Reaction score
It's great though that you upgraded the RAM though, I have 4 gigs on mine which allows it to keep up with the Pro and newer MB's; your' s should last you a very, very long time.

You know that's what I'm really hoping will happen that I will have it for many years to come. And that the only reason I buy again is because I WANT TO and not because I have to because of the blue screen of death that I've seen one too many times. I'm slowly getting used to the mousepad and commands since I have been a mouse girl all of my life. For some odd reason, I just can't explain it, but I really feel free ;D

Reaction score
You know that's what I'm really hoping will happen that I will have it for many years to come. And that the only reason I buy again is because I WANT TO and not because I have to because of the blue screen of death that I've seen one too many times. I'm slowly getting used to the mousepad and commands since I have been a mouse girl all of my life. For some odd reason, I just can't explain it, but I really feel free ;D

That's great; but yea you should feel free, I felt the same way when I first got mine; but yea you should definitely get used to the trackpad, it's amazing. Oh and set up growl and spaces too if you haven't; makes everything that much more productive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Free at last, free at last! :D Fun story, and glad to hear that you've discovered why that MB was giving you trouble. Enjoy your new machine, and welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.