Canon MP620 "Deny/Allow" Pop-Up When Printing Solution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Problem: Ever since the recent software update to the Canon printer drivers (from Apple through Software Update), I started getting this annoying dialogue window whenever I tried to print something. It asked if I wanted to deny or allow incoming connections to my computer. Or something along those lines. I went through everything I could think of in System Preferences. Even Canon's Support site and troubleshooting guide. Nothing! How to stop this annoyance??!!

Solution: I turned off my firewall in System Preferences>Security.
There is a warning with this solution. According to the wise advise in the http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/209182-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html, you want your firewall turned ON when you're on a public network such as at the coffee shop, library, etc. I have WAP2 security on my home network and all connections require that password, so I felt secure enough to turn my firewall off.

I wish there was a simpler way to tell my Mac to allow connections from that specific device, but I haven't been able to find one. So, I hope this helps others who experienced this annoyance. And maybe it will inspire a better solution from someone else. :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same problem here. No matter what I did, the Canon Network Software allow prompt kept coming up every time I went to print. A real pain in the neck. I too wound up turning off the firewall. It really isn't needed as long as you're behind a NAT router and using WPA2.

The problem arises however, when on a public network. Just remember to turn the firewall on whenever you go to Starbucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.