Macbook keybord backlight.

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Um…… this could be a strange question :) I was surfing the net and found that some apple macbook/pro has got a backlight and I wanted to know what models has got the backlight caz I could not find that info on the net ;)

btw I am new to mac and there are no Mac stores in the city I am staying

Thanks in advanced.

One more question my MacBook(Mid2010) warrenty is about to finish; I want to know if buying the apple care really helps or no.

Reaction score
Hey, regarding the backlit keyboard:

All the unibody MacBook Pro's definitely have the backlit keyboard. Some earlier 15 inch MacBook Pro's also have it and the first generation MacBook Air had it (not the current one).

The Apple Care does make sense since especially laptops can be expensive to repair. Nonetheless you might rather save that money if you take good care of it.

It is a very difficult question.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
every MacBook - does not have backlit keyboard - except the MacBook unibody with the 2.4Ghz chip (thanks to thurstmw below for catching this one)

every MacBook Pro - has backlit keyboard

MacBook Air - have to check each model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
every MacBook - does not have backlit keyboard
every MacBook Pro - has backlit keyboard
MacBook Air - have to check each model

Very close to being true but not entirely accurate. Macbook Unibody 2.4 has a backlit keyboard or at least an option for one. They only made this model for a very short period of time though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Very close to being true but not entirely accurate. Macbook Unibody 2.4 has a backlit keyboard or at least an option for one. They only made this model for a very short period of time though.

Yep, sure enough looks like I missed that one - nice catch.

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is Macbook Unibody 2.4 but does not have a backlit keyboard ;) I think I was not fast enough to get the backlit model. Thanks

The Apple Care does make sense since especially laptops can be expensive to repair. Nonetheless you might rather save that money if you take good care of it.

It is a very difficult question.

Thank you; I think I will take good care of it to save money ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
If you are into upgrading your system your self the back lights are available on ebay for 30bucks.

Here

I think all the macbook unibodies have the connector for them on the logic board but if you are going to order a backlight you would probably want to check first.

In this picture you can see a small connector to the right of the one he is unplugging. That is the one which the backlight plugs into.

P21gMUkStuLkuxls.medium

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are into upgrading your system your self the back lights are available on ebay for 30bucks.

Here

I think all the macbook unibodies have the connector for them on the logic board but if you are going to order a backlight you would probably want to check first.

In this picture you can see a small connector to the right of the one he is unplugging. That is the one which the backlight plugs into.

P21gMUkStuLkuxls.medium

I will see about that, Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Mine is Macbook Unibody 2.4 but does not have a backlit keyboard ;) I think I was not fast enough to get the backlit model. Thanks

Thank you; I think I will take good care of it to save money ;)

You are very welcome, I have done that with my Apple machines and had not had any problems yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.