iPhone 4 locks up in Contacts (over 6000 contacts)

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We have a user whose iPhone 4 locks up frequently when he's moving around in his Contacts. Also, sometimes when he goes into a contact and starts to type out notes in the notes field the characters will be totally gibberish, and it's not because he's pressing the wrong keys. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
uhmmmm,

????

Sorry, only thing I can think of is:

May be locking up because 6,000 contacts (along with everything else they're using) is eating all the RAM in the phone.
Perhaps get this user a MacBook Air to use instead?

Possibly have them try totally powering down and turn back on at least once or twice a day to clear out the memory.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the ideas. I wonder myself if it isn't just that he has so many contacts. I never thought about it possibly eating up available memory. Your idea of powering off the phone a couple times a day might be all that can be done. Thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why this might be happening and what to do about it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.