How to remotely mount an external hard drive connected to iMac

Reaction score
Hey there,

First of all, hello! Im new here. Second, please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before, i did a few preliminary searches and didn't find anything relevant. It's entirely possible I've missed something, however. O:)

I'm a web developer. Perhaps some of you know that web developers, graphic designers, and other folks that use computers in their jobs are often treated as the IT guy. This has happened to me a million times, and is something I've just gotten used to. This time however, I'm stumped.

I have a client who has about 20 employees, and wants to be able to connect an external hard drive to an iMac, and have it accessible from within the office as well as from the homes of said 20 employees, who mostly work from home.

I've read a lot of things, tried a few, and nothing has worked.

Anyone have a sure-fire, guaranteed to work, way to do this?

Thanks so much!

Additional bit of info worth noting, All 20 employees use Macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of remote access does your client have? The easiest way to see internal resources is through a VPN - which takes some setup. I have not setup a VPN server but I know Snow Leopard Server has a VPN server available.
Apple - Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard - Networking and VPN
It's probably best to get Mac Mini Server vs buying a the software.

Another way is to tunnel ssh - which is a bit more manual setup.

Lastly - you could install teamviewer on everyone's machines. Then you can connect up and get to the files. There is a file transfer utility. This is probably the easiest setup.
TeamViewer Solutions
Since you would be using this for business purposes you would have to buy a license
TeamViewer Versions
But you could test it for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.