Wireless doesn't work in different country

Reaction score
Did a quick search and couldn't find this in another thread, so hopefully I'm not duplicating. I live in Canada, and was in the US this past weekend. I used my laptop on the free wifi at the airport in canada, but when I got off the plane in the US it connected, looking like everything was fine, and then had the ! over the status bars saying there was an issue. When I tried to troubleshoot it said I had to restart the router to see if that fixed it (obviously I couldn't in the airport). When I got to the house I was staying at, I could plug in to the router to get on the internet, but wireless STILL wasn't working, even when I DID reboot the router and modem. Then when I got back on Canadian soil, internet was fixed again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know a fix for it? I'd be greatly appreciative!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Did a quick search and couldn't find this in another thread, so hopefully I'm not duplicating. I live in Canada, and was in the US this past weekend. I used my laptop on the free wifi at the airport in canada, but when I got off the plane in the US it connected, looking like everything was fine, and then had the ! over the status bars saying there was an issue. When I tried to troubleshoot it said I had to restart the router to see if that fixed it (obviously I couldn't in the airport). When I got to the house I was staying at, I could plug in to the router to get on the internet, but wireless STILL wasn't working, even when I DID reboot the router and modem. Then when I got back on Canadian soil, internet was fixed again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know a fix for it? I'd be greatly appreciative!

No idea...except being in a different country has nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
Can confirm that being in another country has nothing to do with it. I bought my MBP in the states and routinely travel back and forth between Mexico and the US with no difference in the operation of WiFi.

OP
A
Reaction score
well it was a coincidence then, doesn't change the fact that something screwy was happening with my wifi, and I have no idea what it was :(

anyone experience anything similar to this? normally I find my mac is better than anything else at finding and accepting wifi's yet every other computer, phone, anything connected no problem, yet the mac had that stupid ! over the status and asked to trouble shoot one second, and the second I get back it works right away. seems so strange to me..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Really sounds like something with your network settings - as if you couldn't pull an address for some reason. Do you have DHCP enabled? Do you have a statically assigned IP address for your laptop? Do you have it set up to use a specific proxy for some reason?

If you try another router in your country besides your own - I'm guessing you'll see the same symptoms - and it's very likely your settings.

OP
A
Reaction score
that's just it though, I could use it in the airport in Toronto, I use it at libraries, work, home, everywhere. In the states I couldn't use it at the house I was at, the airport, or a coffee shop, and I hadn't changed any settings.. its almost as if there was an equivalent of "data roaming" or something was turned on.. it was so weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.