Creating a DJ Mix

PAB

Reaction score
Hello. What software is recommended to create a simple DJ mix. All I need the software to do is (1) import chosen songs from a "Dancing" playlist in my iTunes library, (2) edit some of the songs so that they begin at a certain spot where the dancing segments begin, ie edit out long non-danceable intros, and then (3) automatically mix with the next song on my playlist when the previous song is finished, or mix randomly to another song in the playlist.

OP
P

PAB

Reaction score
Complicated

Hi Rob, Guess I'm not technically saavy enough. Can't navigate myself through the two softwares. Do you think the Genius Bar at an Apple Store will take the time to show me how they work? Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
which software are you talking about? they will only support you with apple software.

C

chas_m

You could try this method:

1. In iTunes, select each song you're looking at using.
2. Getting info on the song lets you pick a "start time" and "end time" without actually altering or editing the files. Do this with the songs you want to use to play just the parts you're interested in. Create a playlist of these songs (sounds like you've already done the last bit).
3. There are several simple DJ programs (at least one available free from the Mac App Store) that should be able to take the songs from the playlist and "mix them," and write the results to a single file.

OP
P

PAB

Reaction score
Thanks Chas, will try this! But once I edit a song for a dance mix, does the altered song also appear in other playlists, or will the original song in it's entirety be in the other playlists?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.