iMac & MBP Syncing via Dropbox with Symlinks

Reaction score
I have been using Dropbox to sync my applications' preferences, application files, etc. to keep all of the applications/files between my iMac and MacbookPro the same.

For example, I use a code editor called Coda. You can create profiles for each project you work on. I was getting frustrated that the profiles on my iMac and MBP weren't ever the same. So I found the file that Coda updates when a new profile is added (or changed) and created a symlink from that file to the actual file on Dropbox. I created this symlink on my iMac and MBP. Now, whenever I change the file on my MBP/iMac, Dropbox recognizes the change, uploads it, and downloads the file to the other machine. This is all working fine.

I wanted to sync more things than just Coda. I actually moved my entire Preferences folder into Dropbox and symlinked that. No problems (as far as I can tell). The next thing was I wanted to move all of the Mail and Calendar application files to Dropbox to the the same thing. This way, whenever I would move a message to a mailbox in Mail, it would update on both machines. The file is getting updated, and pushed to Dropbox, however, the other Mail isn't picking up the changes.

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.