Transmission & Sleep mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
My Mac likes to sleep. I can't blame it, if I were able, I'd take a quick nap whenever I wasn't working (and occasionally when I was). Anyway I like to download Torrents occasionally using Transmission, but I'm not sure I'm still downloading once my Mac goes to sleep. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd hate to have to babysit my Mac and jiggle the mouse occasionally. ;P

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah...found my own answer. Coolio!

attachment.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(#1) 21.5" iMac 3.06GHz OS 10.6.7 (#2) 13" MBP 2.3 GHz OS 10.6.7
My Mac likes to sleep. I can't blame it, if I were able, I'd take a quick nap whenever I wasn't working (and occasionally when I was). Anyway I like to download Torrents occasionally using Transmission, but I'm not sure I'm still downloading once my Mac goes to sleep. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd hate to have to babysit my Mac and jiggle the mouse occasionally. ;P

You don't have to babysit it. Go into the Energy Saver section in System Preferences. Set the Computer Sleep to Never and the Display sleep to whatever you want. This way, the monitor will shut down, but the computer will continue your download.

However, I think that as long as the Torrent is downloading, the Mac thinks there's activity and will only shut the display - regardless of what the Computer Sleep is set to.

Hope this helped.

John...

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose the obvious question would be...whats an active transfer? If my download finishes, Transmission will continue to seed to other users, but is that still an active transfer; or will my Mac sleep after I've finished?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the most part, I'm happy with my Mac's sleeping patterns...and I answered my own question about Transmission. Thanks though, totally appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I suppose the obvious question would be...whats an active transfer? If my download finishes, Transmission will continue to seed to other users, but is that still an active transfer; or will my Mac sleep after I've finished?

an active transfer is anything that is transferring, whether it be up or down. It will be inactive when its done. Done all depends on what you have your settings for Transmission set at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.