Help - Snow Leopard Crash

LBM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hava a Mac Book Pro 13" (2009) running OSX Snow Leopard. Yesterday, while using Safari, the system froze and I turned it off using the on/off button. Problem: For two times, I turned it on and all I got was that white screen, apple logo on the middle and the animated progress icon running indefinitely. Dont know what to do and, to get things worse, I have a music CD on the superdrive that I don´t know how to take out without the OSX running. Help please.

Best regards,
LBM

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hava a Mac Book Pro 13" (2009) running OSX Snow Leopard. Yesterday, while using Safari, the system froze and I turned it off using the on/off button. Problem: For two times, I turned it on and all I got was that white screen, apple logo on the middle and the animated progress icon running indefinitely. Dont know what to do and, to get things worse, I have a music CD on the superdrive that I don´t know how to take out without the OSX running. Help please.

Best regards,
LBM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Hi all,

Best regards,
LBM

To get the cd out hold down the mouse button or the eject button in the upper right of you keyboard when you turn the computer on and the cd should be ejected.

That alone may fix your problem but it is unlikely. Try resetting the PRAM and SMC. If that does not work try repairing the permissions on the harddrive which would require you to boot from a system disk or preferably USB install disk.

Also how long did you let it spin before giving up on it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to remove that CD first in order to do any kind of trouble shooting. Try these suggested methods that the Mac Guides have listed. See this LINK.

If you can't remove the CD even after trying the above methods, you may have to take your MBP to Apple for service and repair. If your MBP is covered by Apple care, it will be serviced for free. The underlying problem of the system freezing also has to be dealt with. That could either be a hardware or software problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And do not double post.

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
I did wait for probably 5-10 minutes max. What is PRAM and SMC anf how do I reset them ?

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
Ok, I managed to take the CD out, by pressing the eject key at startup, as suggested in reply to the same question I posted at the notebook forum (yes, I did double post... a desperate attitude). At the same answer I was told to try to reset PRAM and SMC. I have no idea of what that means, but I wonder if it wouldnt work to start the Mac OS installation disk. How could I do that ? Would it be effective ?

Thanks in advance,
LBM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What I would do is boot off your second disc (the one with the Apple Hardware Test) and run that.
Insert the disc, restart the machine and hold D while you are booting.

Reaction score
I would certainly try booting it with the OS DVD. At least you will be able to see if the bulk of the hardware is ok. Put the disk in there, and when you power it on, just hold the D key, and it should let you boot from the DVD.

Ha - 6S and I posted while I was typing. Hmmm - no way to delete my own post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SMC first turn off and unplug from mains and leave for thirty minutes and try again. Reset or zap the PRAM - turn off, reboot and immediately after the chime, hold down the Command, Option P and R keys all at the same time.

Keep held down until after the chime sounds three times, release and hopefully all will be well. Google will help you.

http://lmgtfy.com/

And ten minutes? How inconsiderate M- F Members!

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
What I would do is boot off your second disc (the one with the Apple Hardware Test) and run that.
Insert the disc, restart the machine and hold D while you are booting.

OK, I ran Disk Utility and it said the disk needed repair. I clicked the "Repair Disk" utility, got a message "Volume Repair Complete" and, after a few seconds, another message - "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required". The application did not stop and it seems that it will go on forever (15 minutes up to now). Any idea ?

Thank you very much,
Leandro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just let it keep going.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@LBM

Do not cross post. As you can see your cross - posting has caused replies to be given in both forums. All that does is create confusion and clutters the forums with unnecessary posts. Please abide by the rules and only post in one forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

Your threads have been merged together.

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
Just let it keep going.

Ok, I got a message saying that the disk can´t be repaired and that I should back up. Is it possible to plug the notebook HD in a PC to backup ? The SATA conectors are compatible ? If not, what are the options avaliable for me to back up ? Reinstalling the system would erase all files ?

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.