Macbook wont recognise old HDD after a HDD switch

Reaction score
Hello there apple lovers,

The problem i got is pretty simple, yet i had no luck solving it so far.. I have recently upgraded my HDD from an original (Samsung i think, 160GB) to a Seagate Maximus 700GB disk and installed a clean version of Leopard there.

Basically everything would be fine, but since i am working with music, i had some projects in my older HDD that i wanted to export and when i put my old hard drive in, my macbook does not detect it.. I know it is working since ive already checked it via a USB controller and i can access it. The problem is that i specifically need to access the older OS and re-save some of the projects so that i would have all the needed samples and presets in the project folders.

So is there any solution to the problem or i messed everything up completely and i cant access an older OS from the older HDD, when i already installed one in a new hard drive.

Thanks for your time,
M

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens when you try and boot from the old drive installed in the machine? Have you booted with Option held down?

Also try resetting the PRAM by booting with the Command+Option+P+R keys down after the startup sound and keep them down for at least one more startup sound.

OP
D
Reaction score
What happens when you try and boot from the old drive installed in the machine? Have you booted with Option held down?

Also try resetting the PRAM by booting with the Command+Option+P+R keys down after the startup sound and keep them down for at least one more startup sound.

Thanks dude!!! Problem solved :) Really thankful!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool. Glad I could help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
If you dont mind what worked? PRAM or boot from disk?

Reaction score
The dreaded PRAM seems to be the root of most such mysteries, so that would be my guess after reading many such posts. Just a guess, though.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you dont mind what worked? PRAM or boot from disk?

Hey there,

The PRAM reset worked just flawlessly :) I've tried the boot button option before, but had no luck with that. PRAM solved it momentarily :)

Have a nice day,
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.