OpenOffice v LibreOffice? MS Office alternatives

Reaction score
Rather than shell out to upgrade the pensionable MS Office suite on my Mac, I have OpenOffice 3.2. On this forum I've just come across mention of LibreOffice. Anyone have any comments/preferences on either? I find OpenOffice is generally OK but does have a few issues, eg it takes an AGE to open and does tend to lose some formatting when opening a Word file - eg, loses paragraph spaces. Also - I haven't tested this yet - do both these MS Office alternatives allow Windows MS Office users to open files without neeeding to have the programmes installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I've only used OO, but why don't you just download and try out LibreOffice and NeoOffice? Both free and similar. Take them for a test drive. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
LibreOffice is, as of right now, essentially the same as OpenOffice. LO is based off of OO just as NO is but it's still early in development so it's very similar to OO.

Oracle recently announced that they're ceasing commercial development of OO (source) which may or may not be a good thing. I do know that LibreOffice has managed to garner the support of some big companies including Canonical, Google, Novell and Red Hat so there seems to be a brighter future with LO.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thankyou MymacRox and vansmith. I shall bear in mind what vansmith says about Oracle recently announcing they are ceasing commercial development of OpenOffice. Presume that means it will be superceded by other similar programmes and then fade quietly away? I'll have a look at LibreOffice in the meantime. One of my main concerns is that it must be a programme that PC users I occasionally work with - who use MS Office - can also open/send files that will be compatible if I'm using something like OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It is being superseded.

The next upgrade to Ubuntu Linux, out tomorrow, is for example, bundling Libre office instead of Open Office

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It can read and write Word docs but won't do so by default so when you save. Follow the instructions here - you'll probably need to replace "Tools > Options" with "LibreOffice > Preferences" (I don't have it installed right now but I'm guessing, like all other Mac apps, this is how you'll get to the preferences).

It may not be perfect with Word formats - this is something you'll want to test beforehand (as you've already found out).

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith! The instructions link looks very useful. I'll download LibreOffice and see how it goes. Louishen's comment also indicates that OpenOffice is being quietly retired, so maybe LibreOffice is the way to go...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not so much retired - Oracle has just decided to stop providing support for it and turn over development to the community. It will still likely go on but it sure looks as if LibreOffice is going to supplant it as the premiere open source office suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I hadn't heard about LibreOffice until earlier this evening. Was complaining about download speeds for OpenOffice and my brother told me I should check out LibreOffice. It looks pretty good, and since it's more actively developed currently, I'm going with LibreOffice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.