backup/restore from ntfs/fat share?

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a backup product for the Mac that will permit backup and restore to a NTFS or FAT share?

I'm trying to avoid having to buy and manage an external drive, and instead, use a network share I already use to back up my Win machine with.

Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The file system shouldn't matter when using a network share as the network protocol takes care of that.

However, if you wish to setup Time Machine to use a network share that may require a bit more work. Take a look at this article: LINK

Let us know if that works for you.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. Instructions seem to be very clear, but I was only able to get to step 13 of 17. At that point, Time Machine tells me that it "can't access the backup disk (OSStatus error 68). Seems odd since OSX was able to access the backup disk just find to create the sparse bundle file.

I'll reboot the Mac and see if that is the problem (I was supposed to do that after telling TM to allow use of a network drive, but didn't).

OP
W
Reaction score
Yep - it just needed a reboot. It's very entertaining to watch TM run, I'm going to enjoy doing this.

The only real weak point so far is the sparse bundle. Seems it has to be created first on a Mac compatible file system, then moved onto the NTFS file system. Guess I'll be learning more about sparse bundles. I'll bet someone has found a way to create them natively on NTFS disks, how to expand them, etc. Well worth the trouble, though, to be able to have just 1 network backup drive.

Thanks a bunch :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the report.

OP
W
Reaction score
It appears to be perfectly behaved. On the TrueCrypted NTFS drive, the sparse bundle is just a file folder with thousands of 8meg files in it - very easy to manage.

I defined the folder to be compressed, and am seeing about 0.75x shrinkage in space required because of this (25% savings).

Even better - according to the following article, TM will automatically expand the sparse bundle to fill the remaining space on that hard drive without me having to do anything.
Time Machine - Troubleshooting A8. Changing the size or case-sensitivity of a sparse bundle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.