Running without Installing

Reaction score
Hey, I've recently downloaded a few programs (GIMP, TeamSpeak and Skype) onto my OS X 10.6.5

I can go into my download folder and open those programs' folders and run the program.

How is this possible as I haven't installed them?
Will all programs/games downloaded work like this?
Will the downloaded programs/games show up in the other accounts for this computer? (I am not an admin on it)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If they open and run, they are actually installed. Do those Apps show up in your Application Folder? If so, you can delete whatever is in your Download folder. Probably just the .dmg files.

OP
T
Reaction score
The installer wizard or whatever popped up and I closed it and then opened the folder in downloads and ran the programs.

Also, I went on my sister's account (also non-admin) and searched and couldn't find the 3 programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
When that "installer wizard" window opens, it is showing you what to do next. Simply grab the app icon that it is showing you and drag it into the Applications folder that also appears before you.
It took me a while to figure that one out too. Probably one of the most confusing things to switchers.

Once that is done and you verify the app is indeed in your Applications folder in Finder, go ahead and delete whatever was put in your Downloads folder. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
ok, so if I download things as a non-admin, will they appear on the admin's screen?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
MYmacROX covered actually getting yhem installed.

Any app that is installed via simple drag and drop into the Applications folder can indeed be run without installing it. Once the dmg is opened you can click on the app and run it without moving it into your Apps folder.

Any app you run this way while sitting in your downloads folder or install somewhere in your user account rather than the Applications folder would not be able to be accessed by another non-admin user account.

I use to try out a lot of apps this way while deciding if I was going to keep it or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.